Ideal Spring and Real Spring Difference? (Hooke's Law)

In summary, Ideal springs do not have mass while real springs do. Applied force is plotted on the vertical axis of a graph while displacement x is plotted on the horizontal even though Fx is the independent variable.
BayernBlues

Homework Statement

These relate to a Hooke's law lab involving springs.

What are the differences between ideal springs and real springs.

Also, does anyone know why applied force is plotted on the vertical axis of a graph while x (change in displacement from equilibrium) is plotted on the horizontal even though Fx is the independent variable?

Homework Equations

Fx= k x

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that ideal springs face no internal or external friction while real springs do but not much other than that.
As for the second question, I'm stumped.

Physics news on Phys.org
Springs work the way they do because their material is within what's called a linear elastic region(the name should be self explanitory). Outside this region the spring is no longer linear.

Real springs can strain harden, where the spring force goes up, or stain soften, where the spring force goes down, once your outside the elastic region.

A real spring has mass.

A real spring has mass? So an ideal spring doesn't have mass?

Not usually.

BayernBlues said:
Also, does anyone know why applied force is plotted on the vertical axis of a graph while x (change in displacement from equilibrium) is plotted on the horizontal even though Fx is the independent variable?

..snip..

As for the second question, I'm stumped.

Does the "area under the F(x)-vs-x graph" have any interesting interpretation ?

I don't yet have the data tables graphed yet but I know that it's just a linear line so it doesn't have any interesting interpretation :-)

BayernBlues said:
I don't yet have the data tables graphed yet but I know that it's just a linear line so it doesn't have any interesting interpretation :-)

Well... looks like you have to read your textbook and do some more work. :-)

A real spring can break

Wish I could do that. The science books in Ontario (Canada) are so bad though. All it does for Hooke's law is give one paragraph with a few definitions and an example question. The internet doesn't help much either, it just returns a bunch of scholar's papers. Thanks for your help anyways.

I'm doing this lab now and the exact same question has me stumped, has anyone thought of the solution yet and why? If so it would be greatly appreciated

What is Hooke's Law?

Hooke's Law is a fundamental principle in physics that describes the relationship between the force applied to an elastic material, such as a spring, and the resulting displacement of the material. It states that the force applied is directly proportional to the displacement of the material.

What is an ideal spring?

An ideal spring is a theoretical concept that follows Hooke's Law perfectly. This means that it has no mass, is infinitely flexible, and has no internal friction or resistance. In other words, an ideal spring would stretch or compress without any effort, and the force required to do so would be directly proportional to the displacement.

What is a real spring?

A real spring is a physical object that is made of a material with mass, such as metal or plastic. Unlike an ideal spring, it is not infinitely flexible and has its own weight and internal resistance. This means that as it is stretched or compressed, some of the applied force is used to overcome the spring's internal resistance, resulting in a slightly different relationship between force and displacement compared to Hooke's Law.

What is the difference between an ideal spring and a real spring?

The main difference between an ideal spring and a real spring is their behavior when subjected to external forces. An ideal spring follows Hooke's Law perfectly, while a real spring deviates from it due to its own mass and internal resistance. This means that the relationship between force and displacement is not always linear for a real spring.

Why is it important to understand the difference between an ideal spring and a real spring?

Understanding the difference between an ideal spring and a real spring is important in many fields of science and engineering, such as mechanics, material science, and design. It allows us to accurately predict the behavior of springs in different applications and to design more efficient and reliable systems. It also helps us to understand the limitations of Hooke's Law and to develop more advanced theories and models for elastic materials.