Ideas for making an image sensor

In summary, it is possible to make a primitive image sensor using many photocells or other electronics parts. However, the process is difficult and requires a lot of equipment.
AdrianMachin
I know it may sound ridiculous, but I've always thought of making a simple homemade image sensor. Is it possible to make a primitive image sensor using many photocells or other electronics parts? or it's IMPOSSIBLE AT ALL?

I'd like to know if there are DIY methods for making an image sensor.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sounds feasible. You could place an array of photocells near the focal point of a lens system and read out the voltage on each cell. It just won't give you a very good image.

Likes Sponson and russ_watters
AdrianMachin said:
I know it may sound ridiculous, but I've always thought of making a simple homemade image sensor. Is it possible to make a primitive image sensor using many photocells or other electronics parts? or it's IMPOSSIBLE AT ALL?

I'd like to know if there are DIY methods for making an image sensor.
I have done it using a mechanical scanning device and using a photo transistor or a photo multiplier as the pick up device. This produced a 32 line picture at 12.5 fps which I could view mechanically or by digital conversion to 625 line analogue system.
If you use individual photo cells in a grid, there is a huge problem with the quantity of devices required and the method of switching.
These issues were being looked at in the 19th Century when the challenge of devising a practical TV system arose, and Paul Nipkov suggested scanning as a means of avoiding thousands of photo cells.

Likes 256bits, AdrianMachin and berkeman
tech99 said:
I have done it using a mechanical scanning device and using a photo transistor or a photo multiplier as the pick up device. This produced a 32 line picture at 12.5 fps which I could view mechanically or by digital conversion to 625 line analogue system.
If you use individual photo cells in a grid, there is a huge problem with the quantity of devices required and the method of switching.
These issues were being looked at in the 19th Century when the challenge of devising a practical TV system arose, and Paul Nipkov suggested scanning as a means of avoiding thousands of photo cells.
Thanks. How about the optical part? Is there any projects or videos on this?

Attachments

• mechtv.jpg
    mechtv.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 490
AdrianMachin said:
Thanks. The attached image (Copyright Lee Krystek, 2002) cleared it more. But I have another question, how can I project an image from a normal lit environment on the disk bright enough? I have experienced with magnifiers and I could only project an image from a window lit from sunlight.
Good question/ If one goes back in history they also had that same problem, hence the bright lights, and sweaty look of actors with makeup.
Makes me wonder now if the makeup was not there to cover up "blemishes" ( High Definition ) , but to give a more reflective surface to the skin of a person.

Likes AdrianMachin
AdrianMachin said:
Thanks. The attached image (Copyright Lee Krystek, 2002) cleared it more. But I have another question, how can I project an image from a normal lit environment on the disk bright enough? I have experienced with magnifiers and I could only project an image from a window lit from sunlight.
In practice, a big lens is required, and the photo detector must be in a dark box and may require a condenser lens in front of the detector. If the disc is say, 50cm diameter, with 32 holes, then sufficient pick up for ordinary lights can be obtained by using a photo multiplier tube type 931. Results have also been obtained with photo transistors and photo voltaic solar cells, sometimes using discs of about 25cm. Another website of interest is nbtv.org.
The disc can also be used for simultaneous display, using some white LEDs with a diffuser panel.

Likes AdrianMachin
256bits said:
Good question/ If one goes back in history they also had that same problem, hence the bright lights, and sweaty look of actors with makeup.
Makes me wonder now if the makeup was not there to cover up "blemishes" ( High Definition ) , but to give a more reflective surface to the skin of a person.

A bit off topic but my father was a radio engineer involved in the early days of Television. The early black and white cameras had a strange response to colour so the actors had to wear strange coloured makeup including blues and blacks to "look right" on a B&W TV...

television_makeup.jpg

Likes AdrianMachin, berkeman and 256bits

1. What is an image sensor?

An image sensor is a device that captures and converts light into digital signals, allowing for the creation of digital images. It is a key component in digital cameras, smartphones, and other imaging devices.

2. What are some current methods for making image sensors?

Some current methods for making image sensors include CMOS (Complementary Metal-Oxide-Semiconductor) and CCD (Charge-Coupled Device) technologies. CMOS sensors are more commonly used due to their lower power consumption and faster readout speeds, while CCD sensors are typically found in high-end cameras and offer better image quality.

3. How can image sensors be improved?

There are several ways to improve image sensors, including increasing the number of pixels, improving the sensitivity to light, and reducing noise. Other advancements include the use of backside illumination, which allows for more efficient light capture, and the implementation of advanced color filter arrays for more accurate color reproduction.

4. Are there any new technologies being developed for image sensors?

Yes, there are constantly new technologies being developed for image sensors. Some examples include stacked CMOS sensors, which allow for increased pixel density, and organic CMOS sensors, which use organic materials instead of silicon for more flexible and potentially lower-cost sensors.

5. How can image sensors be used in other industries besides photography?

Image sensors have a wide range of applications beyond photography. They are used in medical imaging, such as X-rays and MRI scans, as well as in security cameras, self-driving cars, and even facial recognition technology. Image sensors also play a crucial role in scientific research and space exploration.