Thermodynamics problem for gas expansion at constant-volume

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a perfect gas undergoing constant-volume heating to twice its initial pressure. The solution requires information on the initial temperature or initial volume, which is not provided. The equation for ΔU is also mentioned to be incorrect, and the book is noted to have multiple errors.
wintermute++

Homework Statement

This is a paraphrase, since this is only part of a 3 part question.

A sample of 1.00 mol perfect gas molecules with [itex]C_{p,m}=7/2*R[/itex] and initial pressure of 1.00 atm undegoes constant-volume heating to twice its initial pressure. Find q, w, ΔU, and ΔH.

Homework Equations

[itex]PV=nRT[/itex]
[itex] \Delta U=nC_{p,m}ΔT[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]p_{f}=2p_{i}[/itex] so [itex]Δp = 2p_{i}-p_{i}=p_{i}[/itex]

Since the volume is constant, [itex]V_{i}=V_{f}[/itex] which lends itself neatly to give

[itex]\Delta T = \Delta pV / nR = p_{i}V_{i}/nR = T_{i}[/itex]Sure, it's a neat solution but it's obviously not the correct one since I don't have the initial temperature. I've tried other ways but don't see how this is possible given the information supplied. Any help would be appreciated.

The books solution requires a temperature change of 298 K, if that helps.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If someone could just tell me whether this is even possible with the given information I would be grateful. It's from the Atkin's P. Chem textbook, 9th Edition. A second reason to suspect that it's not is because the 8th Edition version of this problem was written as "undegoes constant-volume heating to twice its initial volume" which makes no sense at all. I think they changed volume to pressure and forgot to add the needed information to solve it.

If someone could just confirm it would put my mind at ease. Otherwise I'm left sitting here thinking I'm an idiot.

It is not possible. You need to know the initial temperature or the initial volume.

Chet

Likes 1 person
Thanks Chester. I spent way too much time looking for a solution to this problem!

BTW, your equation for ΔU is incorrect. That is the equation for ΔH.

Chet

Ah, you're right. That was a typo in haste, I have it down on paper as Cvm = Cpm-R. Thanks again. I've been finding many errors with this p. chem textbook, beginning to wonder why it's so highly recommended.

Related to Thermodynamics problem for gas expansion at constant-volume

1. What is the definition of constant-volume gas expansion in thermodynamics?

In thermodynamics, constant-volume gas expansion refers to a process where the volume of a gas remains constant while its pressure and temperature change. This can occur in a closed container or system where no external work is done on or by the gas.

2. How does the first law of thermodynamics apply to a gas expansion at constant-volume?

The first law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted. In the case of a gas expansion at constant-volume, the energy transferred is in the form of heat, which leads to changes in temperature and pressure of the gas.

3. What is the equation for calculating work in a constant-volume gas expansion?

The equation for calculating work in a constant-volume gas expansion is W = 0, as no external work is being done on the gas since the volume remains constant. This is because work is defined as the force applied to an object multiplied by the distance it moves, and since the volume is not changing, there is no distance for the gas to move.

4. How does the ideal gas law relate to a constant-volume gas expansion?

The ideal gas law, which states that the pressure, volume, and temperature of an ideal gas are related by the equation PV = nRT, can be used to calculate the change in temperature or pressure in a constant-volume gas expansion. This is because the volume remains constant, so the other variables must change to maintain the relationship.

5. What are some real-life examples of a constant-volume gas expansion?

One example of a constant-volume gas expansion is the use of a pressure cooker. The volume of the cooker remains constant, but as the temperature increases, the pressure also increases, allowing for faster and more efficient cooking. Another example is a gas-filled balloon in a closed room, where the volume of the balloon remains constant, but the temperature and pressure of the gas inside may change due to external factors such as changes in temperature or altitude.