Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Identify This Real Number

1. Dec 8, 2012 #1

I need help identifying this real number. The closest I have gotten is e+pi/4.

But I think it has something to do with the Zeta function?

Please help.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2012 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Where did you find this number?

4. Dec 9, 2012 #3
    It was asked by my professor as HW, but I have looked and looked and can not find anything online.... I was wondering if anyone else knew where to look or even how to look?

Thanks.

5. Dec 9, 2012 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Then maybe you should give more information on what class you are taking and what subject you just covered.

6. Dec 9, 2012 #5
    It's just a programming class, so the question isn't all that relevant. Not exactly sure why he asked us this question, but he did. I was trying to use an online inverse symbolic calculator or something, but I just can't find anything.

7. Dec 9, 2012 #6

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Off hand there doesn't seem to be anything special about this number.

8. Dec 9, 2012 #7
    The class and subject question certainly is relevant and has everything to do with it.

Have you converted to binary and noticed anything?

The presentation of the number as a real is noteworthy because machine operations can't work with reals... maybe the idea is to get you thinking about computable vs real numbers?

Have you noticed it interesting that a 23 digit base 10 number does not have an instance of 2?
    Maybe this is a clue to look at the method of compliments?

Or it may be like the version of 20 questions where one only pretends to pick something, but keeps all answers consistent with previous answers. Just to see where it goes?

9. Dec 9, 2012 #8
    And what do you get if you compute e+pi/4 to 22 decimal places?

10. Dec 9, 2012 #9
    What you've said is really intriguing. Please expand.

11. Dec 9, 2012 #10

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Is it? Seems like an 8% chance, and similarly for any other nonzero digit. So it's not that surprising that some digit doesn't feature.
    Flattery will get you nowhere.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook