Identifying 'Identical' USB devices in Windows...

• Thread starter Nik_2213
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Windows
Nik_2213
I'm sorry, my research has drawn blank, I may just be asking question the wrong way...

If you connect several identical USB webcams to Windows as-is, directly to PC or via USB multi-port whatsit, the OS seems unable to distinguish them beyond the second.
Is there a practicable way to readily disambiguate such identical USB devices, allowing convenient access to multiple camera angles for stereo or 3D capture ??
eg using budget in-line dongles ??

FWIW, I do not have the facilities or skills to 'hack' such cameras and change their firmware...

Engineering news on Phys.org
Do you mean distinguish from a hardware standpoint, or from a programmatic standpoint? If programmatic, what programming language are you using?

From a hardware standpoint, do you know how to use the Windows Device Manager to find each device's USB serial number? (I'm assuming they must be different if Windows is able to distinguish them)

Sorry, I no longer program. I tried using the usual Windows suite. Although I dug deep enough to find serial numbers, Windows software seems unable to use this information to select from more than two. Some utility programs could only 'see' the first one. Alas, there seems no obvious way to allocate a unique 'Windows name' to each, akin to naming drives...

Perhaps due to webcams' comparative simplicity, as many USB devices can be 'told apart'...

I was a tad disappointed as eg IPCAMs are more readily disambiguated...

FWIW, I've contacted several USB camera suppliers, the Semi-Pro 'Box with Lens-mount' type, used for anything from astronomy to robots, and they've all had the same surprise when trying to connect more than two the same: If you cannot identify a specific camera, you cannot command its neat facilities such as iris, speed/FPS, ring-light etc etc..

Regret text a tad terse as being aggressively sub-edited by 'Duty Cat'...

Can you find any similar cameras with Ethernet connectivity instead of USB?

Likes 256bits
berkeman said:
or a piece of dedicated hardware; a video mixer box? Those things must be available (typical security camera system) and may not be too expensive. Windows is a general purpose platform and it's not surprising it can't do everything.

sophiecentaur said:
or a piece of dedicated hardware; a video mixer box? Those things must be available (typical security camera system) and may not be too expensive. Windows is a general purpose platform and it's not surprising it can't do everything.
Linux too.

A USB controller has only so much bandwidth available to it.
What you see on the outside of the machine is the USB port connection, of which 2 or three could be connected to one USB controller.

Connect 2 video cams and you might be OK.
Connect 3 and the bandwidth could become compromised, depending upon frame rate and resolution.
If device 1 takes 40% bandwidth, device 2 another 40%, there is no room for a third.
The USB could shut down, or do what the OS tells it to do in such situation.
( Mouses, keyboards in contrast are low bandwidth devices. )

What does a mixer port do?
berkeman said:
Right.
There they use the device MAC, and not the other generic information of device manufacturer, model, ...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAC_address
The IEEE 802 MAC address originally comes from the Xerox Network Systems Ethernet addressing scheme.[1] This 48-bit address space contains potentially 248 (over 281 trillion) possible MAC addresses.

Last edited:
Likes sophiecentaur and berkeman
It's an overkill, and brings a different kind of 'can of worms' into the issue, but there are various software available on android about turning a phone (SIM is not necessary: works on old phones too: even at insane resolutions) into a wireless webcam or photo cam.

Likes Nik_2213

1. How can I differentiate between identical USB devices connected to my Windows computer?

To differentiate between identical USB devices, you can use the Device Manager or third-party software tools that display more detailed information such as serial numbers, device paths, or connection ports. Accessing Device Manager and checking under the 'Universal Serial Bus controllers' section can sometimes reveal subtle differences in the port connections or device descriptions.

2. Can Windows show the serial numbers of connected USB devices?

Windows itself does not typically display serial numbers for USB devices directly in the Device Manager. However, you can use PowerShell commands or third-party software like USBDeview to view serial numbers and other detailed information about each connected USB device.

3. Is there a way to assign unique identifiers to USB devices in Windows?

Windows does not natively allow users to assign unique identifiers to USB devices. However, you can use software solutions to create virtual identifiers or labels based on the device's properties such as serial number or port number, which can help in managing and identifying them easier.

4. How can I monitor which USB devices are currently connected to my PC?

You can monitor connected USB devices using the Device Manager or by using PowerShell scripts to fetch detailed information about each device. Additionally, third-party tools like USBDeview provide a user-friendly interface and additional functionalities such as logging history, device status, and more.

5. What should I do if two identical USB devices are causing conflicts in Windows?

If two identical USB devices are causing conflicts, you can try assigning different drivers to them, change their settings individually if possible, or connect them to different USB ports. Sometimes, updating the device drivers or using a powered USB hub can also help resolve conflicts.

Back