Identifying Intermediates in chemical kinetics

In summary, intermediates are the compounds that are canceled out when adding together the elementary reactions to get the overall reaction. In this case, the intermediates would be the two N2O2 compounds.
future_vet
Hello,

I have the following mechanism:
NO + NO -> N2O2
and
N2O2 + H2 -> N2O + H2O

We need to identify intermediates in the mechanism. I have no idea how to do that.
In case it helps, here are the answers (not sure they are right, but I think they are) to previous questions in the exercise:

The balanced overall equation is 2NO + H2 -> N2O + H2O

The rate law for each elementary reaction in the mechanism would be:
rate = k[NO][NO] (Why did they write NO + NO instead of 2NO anyway?)
and
rate= k[N2O2]

Now we need to identify intermediates... How?

THANK YOU!

Physics news on Phys.org
Intermediates are the compunds that drop out of the equation when you add together the elementary reactions to get the overall reaction. And when you add together elementary reactions you can cancel out the things that appear on both sides of the equation, these are the intermediates. Does this help?

Oh, so the intermediates would be the two N2O2 then, since I crossed them out when I added the equations..?
Thank you so much, it actually makes sense now!

Joanna.

future_vet said:
Oh, so the intermediates would be the two N2O2 then, since I crossed them out when I added the equations..?
Thank you so much, it actually makes sense now!

Joanna.

Yes that would be correct. Glad I could help.

1. What are intermediates in chemical kinetics?

Intermediates in chemical kinetics are molecules or species that are formed during a chemical reaction, but are not present in the initial reactants or final products. They are formed as a result of reaction intermediates and are typically short-lived, unstable, and difficult to detect.

2. How are intermediates identified in chemical kinetics?

Intermediates can be identified using various experimental techniques such as spectroscopy, chromatography, and mass spectrometry. These techniques allow scientists to detect and analyze the chemical species present during a reaction, including intermediates.

3. Why is identifying intermediates important in chemical kinetics?

Identifying intermediates is important because it provides insight into the mechanism of a chemical reaction. By understanding the intermediates involved, scientists can better predict and control the rate and outcome of a reaction. This information is also crucial in designing and optimizing chemical reactions for practical applications.

4. What challenges are associated with identifying intermediates in chemical kinetics?

One of the main challenges in identifying intermediates is their short-lived nature. They may exist for only a fraction of a second, making them difficult to detect and study. Additionally, intermediates may react with other species present in the reaction mixture, making their identification and characterization more complex.

5. Can computer simulations be used to identify intermediates in chemical kinetics?

Yes, computer simulations can be used to predict and identify intermediates in chemical kinetics. By inputting the reaction conditions and reactant molecules into a computational model, scientists can simulate the reaction and determine the intermediates that are likely to be formed. This can help guide experimental studies and provide valuable information for understanding the reaction mechanism.