Identifying Vertical Asymptotes: A Non-Factoring Method

In summary, the conversation discusses strategies for identifying vertical asymptotes and factoring a polynomial expression. The speaker's professor suggests factoring the expression, but the speaker is unsure if there is another method. They also discuss a specific example and the correct factorization of the numerator. Ultimately, the only known method for finding vertical asymptotes is through graphing.
Teh
View attachment 6087
im stuck on identifying vertical asymptotes because of this nasty denominator. My professor telling me to factor it out but, is there different way to solve for the vertical asymptotes.

Attachments

• 14642706_1490190584343062_450543411_n.jpg
    14642706_1490190584343062_450543411_n.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 61
Physics news on Phys.org
Teh said:
im stuck on identifying vertical asymptotes because of this nasty denominator. My professor telling me to factor it out but, is there different way to solve for the vertical asymptotes.
Other than graphing, not that I know of.

You need to factor \(\displaystyle x^4 - 61x^2 + 900\). If you set \(\displaystyle y = x^2\) then you have to factor \(\displaystyle y^2 - 61y + 900\). Are you able to do that?

-Dan

i did! for the denominator it is (x+5) (x+6) (x-5) (x-6) for the top i am not sure

Teh said:
i did! for the denominator it is (x+5) (x+6) (x-5) (x-6) for the top i am not sure

Surely you can at least see some common factors...

yes also did tried it this is what i got 2x^2 (x^2 + x - 30) is equal to 2x^2 (x-6) (x+5)... then cancel it out with (x-6) (x+5)

Your factorization of the numerator is close, but not quite correct...check your signs. :D

ahhh okay (x+6) and (x-5) canceling with (x+6) (x-5) leaving 2x^2 / (x-6) (x+5)

1. What is a vertical asymptote?

A vertical asymptote is a vertical line on a graph that a curve approaches but never touches. It represents values on the graph where the function is undefined.

2. How do you identify vertical asymptotes using a non-factoring method?

To identify vertical asymptotes using a non-factoring method, you can set the denominator of a rational function equal to zero and solve for the variable. The resulting values will be the vertical asymptotes.

3. Can there be more than one vertical asymptote for a given function?

Yes, there can be more than one vertical asymptote for a given function. This occurs when there are multiple values of the variable that make the denominator of the function equal to zero.

4. Are vertical asymptotes always linear?

No, vertical asymptotes do not have to be linear. They can be curved or jagged lines, depending on the function being graphed.

5. How do vertical asymptotes affect the graph of a function?

Vertical asymptotes can affect the graph of a function by creating a gap or break in the graph where the function is undefined. They also indicate values for which the function approaches but never reaches, which can impact the behavior of the function near these values.