1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Horizontal & Vertical Asymptotes Of A Curve

1. Sep 16, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    2ccpegg.jpg

2. Relevant equations
    None

3. The attempt at a solution
    I was able to find a vertical asymptote at x=-3/8 by setting the denominator to 0 and using the quadratic formula to find the roots. However, I am unsure of how to find the horizontal asymptotes, and I am not 100% confident that my vertical asymptote is correct. The confusion that I have here is with the square root in the denominator.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2012 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Recheck that result you get from "setting the denominator to 0 and using the quadratic formula to find the roots".

For the horizontal asymptote(s), find the limit of your function as x → ± ∞ .

4. Sep 16, 2012 #3
    Thank you Sammy. After watching some videos regarding this topic and your assistance, I found out that the horizontal asymptotes are y=-1/2, 1/2 and there are no vertical asymptotes. Thank you again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook