Finding Horizontal & Vertical Asymptotes Of A Curve

Homework Statement

2ccpegg.jpg

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to find a vertical asymptote at x=-3/8 by setting the denominator to 0 and using the quadratic formula to find the roots. However, I am unsure of how to find the horizontal asymptotes, and I am not 100% confident that my vertical asymptote is correct. The confusion that I have here is with the square root in the denominator.

Answers and Replies

SammyS
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member

Homework Statement

2ccpegg.jpg

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to find a vertical asymptote at x=-3/8 by setting the denominator to 0 and using the quadratic formula to find the roots. However, I am unsure of how to find the horizontal asymptotes, and I am not 100% confident that my vertical asymptote is correct. The confusion that I have here is with the square root in the denominator.
Recheck that result you get from "setting the denominator to 0 and using the quadratic formula to find the roots".

For the horizontal asymptote(s), find the limit of your function as x → ± ∞ .

Recheck that result you get from "setting the denominator to 0 and using the quadratic formula to find the roots".

For the horizontal asymptote(s), find the limit of your function as x → ± ∞ .

Thank you Sammy. After watching some videos regarding this topic and your assistance, I found out that the horizontal asymptotes are y=-1/2, 1/2 and there are no vertical asymptotes. Thank you again.