Solving 8cosx-4=0: Find x-Values

• Thread starter TonyC
  • Start date
In summary, the solutions for the equation 8cosx-4=0 are x=pi/3+2npi and x=5pi/3+2npi, where n is an integer.
TonyC
I am trying to identify the x-values that are solutions for the equation:
8cosx-4=0

I have come up with: x=pi/3,4pi/3
This doesn't seem correct but I am stumped. :confused:

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Why 4pi/3?
Remember, if you need to solve:
[tex]\cos \alpha = \cos \beta = x[/tex]
[tex]\Leftrightarrow \alpha = \pm \beta + k2\pi, k \in \mathbb{Z}[/tex]
In other words,
[tex]\alpha = \pm \arccos x + k2\pi, k \in \mathbb{Z}[/tex]
Viet Dao,

so,
5pi/3

I C

Thank you

TonyC said:
I am trying to identify the x-values that are solutions for the equation:
8cosx-4=0

I have come up with: x=pi/3,4pi/3
This doesn't seem correct but I am stumped. :confused:

8 cos x= 4 so cos x= 1/2. You could use a calculator but I think of half an equilateral triangle to observe that [itex]cos\left(\frac{\pi}{3}\right)= \frac{1}{2}[/itex]. I then recall that "cos t" is the x coordinate of the unit circle parametrized by x= cos t, y= sin t. Drawing a vertical line at x= 1/2 I notice the vertical symmetry: [itex]cos\left(-\frac{\pi}{3}\right)= \frac{1}{2}[/itex] also. That gives me two solutions, between [itex]-\pi[/itex] and [itex]\pi[/tex]. If you want solutions between 0 and [itex]2\pi[/itex], [itex]-\frac{\pi}{3}+ 2\pi= \frac{5\pi}{3}[/itex] (NOT [itex]\frac{4\pi}{3}[/itex]).

Since cosine is periodic with period [itex]2\pi[/itex], all solutions to 8cos x- 4= 0 are of the form [itex]\frac{\pi}{3}+ 2n\pi[/itex] or [itex]\frac{5\pi}{3}+ 2n\pi[/itex] for some integer n.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How do I solve 8cosx-4=0 to find the x-values?

To solve this equation, you will need to use algebraic manipulation and trigonometric identities. Firstly, add 4 to both sides of the equation to get 8cosx=4. Then, divide both sides by 8 to get cosx=0.5. From here, you can use the inverse cosine function or a unit circle diagram to find the possible solutions for x.

2. Can I use a calculator to solve this equation?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve this equation. However, make sure that your calculator is in the correct mode (degrees or radians) and that you are using the inverse cosine function correctly to find the solutions for x.

3. What are the possible values for x that satisfy this equation?

The possible values for x can be found by using the inverse cosine function on 0.5. This will give you two solutions, which are approximately 60 degrees and 300 degrees. However, keep in mind that the unit circle repeats every 360 degrees, so there are infinite solutions for x.

4. How do I know which solution to choose for x?

In most cases, the solutions for x will be given in radians. If this is the case, you should choose the solution that is within the range of 0 to 2π radians (0 to 360 degrees). If the solutions are given in degrees, then you can choose any solution within the range of 0 to 360 degrees.

5. Can I check my solutions for x?

Yes, you can check your solutions by plugging them back into the original equation. If the solution satisfies the equation, then it is a valid solution for x. If it does not, then you may need to recheck your work or consider other possible solutions.