1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Identifying x-values

1. Aug 18, 2005 #1
    I am trying to identify the x-values that are solutions for the equation:
    8cosx-4=0

I have come up with: x=pi/3,4pi/3
    This doesn't seem correct but I am stumped. :confused:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 18, 2005 #2

VietDao29

Homework Helper

Why 4pi/3?
    Remember, if you need to solve:
    [tex]\cos \alpha = \cos \beta = x[/tex]
    [tex]\Leftrightarrow \alpha = \pm \beta + k2\pi, k \in \mathbb{Z}[/tex]
    In other words,
    [tex]\alpha = \pm \arccos x + k2\pi, k \in \mathbb{Z}[/tex]
    Viet Dao,

4. Aug 18, 2005 #3
    so,
    5pi/3

I C

Thank you

5. Aug 18, 2005 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

8 cos x= 4 so cos x= 1/2. You could use a calculator but I think of half an equilateral triangle to observe that [itex]cos\left(\frac{\pi}{3}\right)= \frac{1}{2}[/itex]. I then recall that "cos t" is the x coordinate of the unit circle parametrized by x= cos t, y= sin t. Drawing a vertical line at x= 1/2 I notice the vertical symmetry: [itex]cos\left(-\frac{\pi}{3}\right)= \frac{1}{2}[/itex] also. That gives me two solutions, between [itex]-\pi[/itex] and [itex]\pi[/tex]. If you want solutions between 0 and [itex]2\pi[/itex], [itex]-\frac{\pi}{3}+ 2\pi= \frac{5\pi}{3}[/itex] (NOT [itex]\frac{4\pi}{3}[/itex]).

Since cosine is periodic with period [itex]2\pi[/itex], all solutions to 8cos x- 4= 0 are of the form [itex]\frac{\pi}{3}+ 2n\pi[/itex] or [itex]\frac{5\pi}{3}+ 2n\pi[/itex] for some integer n.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?