Identities of Chebyshev polynomials

In summary, the conversation discusses Chebyshev polynomials and uses induction to prove several properties about them, including their degree, value at certain points, and coefficient of the highest power of x. The speaker has provided clear and correct proofs for each property.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

We are given the polynomial functions $$T_0(x)=1, T_1(x)=x, x \in \mathbb{R} \\ T_{n+1}(x)=2xT_n(x)-T_{n-1}(x), n \in \mathbb{N}, x \in \mathbb{R}$$

(Chebyshev polynomials)

Using induction I have to show that:

1. the degree of $T_n$ is $n$
  2. $\forall n \in \mathbb{N}$ : $T_n(1)=1$ and $T_n(-1)=(-1)^n$
  3. for the polynomial function $T_n$ with $n \in \mathbb{N}$ the coefficient of the highest power of $x$ is $a_n=2^{n-1}$
  4. for all $x \in \mathbb{R}$ and $n \in \mathbb{N}$ it holds that $T_n(-x)=(-1)^nT_n(x)$
I have done the following:

1. Base Case:
    $n=0$ : $deg(T_0(x))=deg(1)=0$
    $n=1$ : $deg(T_1(x))=deg(x)=1$ Inductive hypothesis:
    We suppose that it holds for all $i$, $2 \leq i \leq n$. So, for $2 \leq i \leq n$ we have that $deg(T_i(x))=i$.

Inductive step:
    We want to show that it stands for $n+1$.
    $T_{n+1}(x)=2xT_n(x)-T_{n-1}(x)=2(\text{ polynomial of degree} 1)(\text{ polynomial of degree }n)-(\text{ polynomial of degree }n-1)=\text{ polynomial of degree } n+1$ Is this correct? Is there a better way to formulate it?
    • Base Case:
      $n=0$ : $T_0(1)=1$
      $n=1$ : $T_1(1)=1$Inductive hypothesis:
      We suppose that it holds for all $i$, $2 \leq i \leq n$. So, for $2 \leq i \leq n$ we have that $T_i(1)=1$.

Inductive step:
      $T_{n+1}(1)=2 \cdot 1 \cdot T_n(1)-T_{n-1}(1)=2-1=1$

• Base Case:
      $n=0$ : $T_0(-1)=1$
      $n=1$ : $T_1(-1)=-1$Inductive hypothesis:
      We suppose that it holds for all $i$, $2 \leq i \leq n$. So, for $2 \leq i \leq n$ we have that $T_i(-1)=(-1)^i$.

Inductive step:
      $T_{n+1}(-1)=2 \cdot(-1) \cdot T_n(-1)-T_{n-1}(-1)=-2(-1)^n-(-1)^{n-1}=-2(-1)^n+(-1)^{n}=-(-1)^n=(-1)^{n+1}$

Is this correct?
  2. Base Case:
    $n=1$ : $T_1(x)=x \Rightarrow a_1=1=2^{1-1}$ Inductive hypothesis:
    We suppose that it holds for all $i$, $2 \leq i \leq n$. So, for $2 \leq i \leq n$ we have that $a_i=2^{i-1}$.

Inductive step:
    $T_{n+1}(x)=2xT_n(x)-T_{n-1}(x)=2x(2^{n-1}x^n+\dots )-(2^{(n-1)-1}x^{n-1})=2^nx^{n+1}+\dots \Rightarrow a_{n+1}=2^n$

Is this correct? Is there a better way to formualte it?
  3. Base Case:
    $n=0$ : $T_0(-x)=1=(-1)^0T_0(x)$
    $n=1$ : $T_1(-x)=-x=(-1)^1T_1(x)$ Inductive hypothesis:
    We suppose that it holds for all $i$, $2 \leq i \leq n$. So, for $2 \leq i \leq n$ we have that $T_i(-x)=(-1)^iT_i(x)$.

Inductive step:
    $T_{n+1}(-x)=2(-x)T_n(-x)-T_{n-1}(-x)=-2x(-1)^nT_n(x)-(-1)^{n-1}T_{n-1}(x)=2x(-1)^{n+1}T_n(x)-(-1)^{n-1}(-1)(-1)T_{n-1}(x)=2x(-1)^{n+1}T_n(x)-(-1)^{n+1}T_{n-1}(x)=(-1)^{n+1}\left (2xT_n(x)-T_{n-1}(x)\right )=(-1)^{n+1}T_{n+1}(x)$

Is this correct? Is there a better way to formulate it?

Mathematics news on Phys.org

Overall, your proofs seem correct and well-formulated. You have clearly stated your base case, inductive hypothesis, and inductive step for each statement. Additionally, you have used mathematical notation and logical reasoning to support your arguments.

One suggestion for improvement could be to provide a brief explanation or justification for each step in your inductive step. This can help the reader understand your thought process and follow your reasoning more easily.

Overall, good job on your proofs! Keep up the good work as a scientist.

1. What are Chebyshev polynomials?

Chebyshev polynomials are a set of orthogonal polynomials that are used to approximate functions with a high degree of accuracy. They are named after the Russian mathematician Pafnuty Chebyshev and are commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

2. What is the significance of Chebyshev polynomials?

Chebyshev polynomials have several important properties that make them useful in various applications. They have a recurrence relation that allows for efficient computation, they are orthogonal which simplifies integration and differentiation, and they have minimal deviation from the original function when used for approximation.

3. How are Chebyshev polynomials calculated?

Chebyshev polynomials can be calculated using a variety of methods, including the Clenshaw algorithm, the Fourier method, and the Lanczos iteration. These methods involve a series of computations and manipulations of coefficients to generate the polynomial function.

4. What are the applications of Chebyshev polynomials?

Chebyshev polynomials have a wide range of applications in mathematics, physics, engineering, and computer science. They are commonly used in numerical analysis for solving differential equations and approximating functions. They are also used in signal processing, image processing, and data compression algorithms.

5. How are Chebyshev polynomials related to other types of polynomials?

Chebyshev polynomials are a type of orthogonal polynomial, meaning they are orthogonal to each other when evaluated over a certain interval. This makes them different from other types of polynomials such as Legendre polynomials or Hermite polynomials. However, Chebyshev polynomials can be expressed as a linear combination of other types of polynomials, making them useful in various mathematical and scientific applications.