Magnetar Mystery: How Do Neutrons Generate a Magnetic Field?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a neutron star, specifically a magnetar, generating a magnetic field despite the neutrons composing it having zero charge. It is mentioned that neutron stars contain a small percentage of electrons and protons, which may contribute to the magnetic field. Additionally, it is explained that the magnetic field of a magnetar is inherited from its progenitor star and becomes more concentrated due to the smaller size of the neutron star. There is also mention of a geodynamo in the early days of the neutron star, but once the core cools down, there are no more convection currents and the geodynamo stops. Finally, it is noted that while neutrons have an intrinsic magnetic moment, it is uncertain if
swampwiz
If a magnetar is a neutron star, how do the neutrons composing the star generate a magnetic field? A neutron has zero charge, so it generates no magnetic field.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
swampwiz said:
If a magnetar is a neutron star, how do the neutrons composing the star generate a magnetic field? A neutron has zero charge, so it generates no magnetic field.
Neutron star cores contain a percentage of electrons and protons. I've seen estimates as high as ten percent.

However the magnetic field is inherited from the star that went supernova. Magnetic fields are remarkably persistent. The neutron star is far smaller than the original star so the magnetic field becomes very concentrated.

In the case of a magnetar, there was a short-lived geodynamo in the early days of the neutron star. Once the core is cool enough to be superconductive, there are no more convection currents and hence no more geodynamo. I haven't looked at these things for 15 years so I might not remember it correctly, that's the best I can do.

swampwiz said:
That's not true. Neutrons have an intrinsic magnetic moment, though I'm unsure if this contributes to a magnetar's magnetic field or not. See here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutron_magnetic_moment

Likes Dragrath and SammyS
swampwiz said:
A neutron has zero charge, so it generates no magnetic field.
Not true. A neutron has a magnetic moment - i.e. is a little magnet in and of itself.

Likes Dragrath

1. What is a magnetar?

A magnetar is a type of neutron star that has an extremely strong magnetic field. It is estimated that a magnetar's magnetic field can be a trillion times stronger than Earth's magnetic field.

2. How do neutrons generate a magnetic field in magnetars?

Neutrons in magnetars are highly dense and packed closely together. This creates a phenomenon called "quantum spin," where the neutrons align their spin in the same direction, creating a strong magnetic field.

3. How do scientists study the magnetic fields of magnetars?

Scientists use a variety of tools and techniques to study the magnetic fields of magnetars, including X-ray telescopes, radio telescopes, and simulations. They also study the effects of the magnetic fields on the surrounding environment.

4. What are the potential applications of understanding magnetar magnetic fields?

Understanding magnetar magnetic fields can help scientists better understand the extreme conditions in the universe, as well as the behavior of matter under extreme magnetic fields. This knowledge can also have practical applications in fields such as nuclear physics and astrophysics.

5. Are there any current theories or hypotheses about the origin of magnetar magnetic fields?

There are several theories about the origin of magnetar magnetic fields, including the "magnetar model" which suggests that the magnetic fields are a remnant of the star's formation. Other theories propose that the magnetic fields are generated by the rapid rotation of the star or by the decay of other particles within the star.