If a spinning top is is spinning in place is the spinning top moving?

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter accelerate23
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Spinning
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
accelerate23
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Just in case this is confusing: I am talking about the toy (spinning top).
I know that this has something to do with kinetic energy but I just don't know how to explain it.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming it is spinning exactly in place with no movement whatsoever, it has no momentum, but it does have angular momentum, which carries with it angular velocity and energy.
 
That all depends on your frame of reference. If your on frame of reference is Earth the top is spinning. If your frame of reference is the top then the Earth is spinning around the top.