If (f o g)= 16x + 7 and g(x)= 2x - 1 , find f(x)

• Thread starter Andolph23
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the function f(x) when given the compositions f o g and g(x). The suggested method is to plug g(x) into (f o g), which results in 32x - 9. However, there is a suggestion to try f(g(x)) to confirm the solution, and the possibility of using f(x) = Ax + B for a linear function is mentioned. Additionally, the concept of (f o g o g-1)(x) is brought up.
Andolph23

Homework Statement

The Attempt at a Solution

I haven't done a problem like this in awhile so I don't remember exactly what to do. I think you plug g(x) into (f o g) to get 32x - 9 but I'm not sure if that's correct.

Homework Statement

Physics news on Phys.org
Andolph23 said:

Homework Statement

The Attempt at a Solution

I haven't done a problem like this in awhile so I don't remember exactly what to do. I think you plug g(x) into (f o g) to get 32x - 9 but I'm not sure if that's correct.

Homework Statement

If this is correct, you should try f(g(x)) and see if you get what it was originally

P.S. Notice your trying to get f(x)

Suppose that f(x) = Ax + B, a linear function. Given that, and that g(x) = 2x - 1, what is (f o g)(x)?
(Ignore for a moment that (f o g)(x) was already given.)

P.S. This should really be in the Precalculus subforum.

What is (f○g○g-1)(x) ?

SammyS said:
What is (f○g○g-1)(x) ?

Wow, your good:wink: Didn't even think of that.

1. What is the function of "If (f o g)= 16x + 7 and g(x)= 2x - 1 , find f(x)"?

The function is asking to find the value of f(x) when given the equation (f o g) = 16x + 7, where g(x) = 2x - 1.

2. How do I solve for f(x) in the given equation?

To solve for f(x), we can use the formula (f o g) = f(g(x)). Substitute the given value of g(x) into the equation (f o g) = 16x + 7 and solve for f(x).

3. Can I simplify the equation to find f(x)?

Yes, you can simplify the equation by substituting the given value of g(x) into the formula (f o g) = f(g(x)). This will help you solve for f(x) more easily.

4. Are there any restrictions or limitations when solving for f(x)?

There may be restrictions or limitations depending on the given values of f(x) and g(x). For example, if the given equation has a range of values that are not defined, then there may be limitations in solving for f(x).

5. What is the final answer for f(x) in this equation?

The final answer for f(x) will depend on the given values of f(x) and g(x). Once you have solved for f(x), you can substitute the value of f(x) into the original equation to check if it is correct.