If f'(x)=abs(x-2) draw a possible graph

• Thread starter martin123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graph
In summary, the question is asking for a possible graph of the original function if the derivative is given as f'(x) = |x-2|. The attempt at a solution involves finding the antiderivative of an absolute value, which can be done by breaking the function into two pieces and using the appropriate formula for each piece.
martin123

Homework Statement

If f'(x)=abs(x-2) draw a possible grpah of the original function.

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't remember how to find the antiderivative of an absolute value.
Cant some one please enlight me?

Physics news on Phys.org

martin123 said:

Homework Statement

If f'(x)=abs(x-2) draw a possible grpah of the original function.

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't remember how to find the antiderivative of an absolute value.
Cant some one please enlight me?

|x - 2| = x -2 if x >= 2
and
|x - 2| = -(x -2) if x < 2

1. What does f'(x) = abs(x-2) mean?

F'(x) = abs(x-2) represents the derivative of the function f(x) at any given point x. The absolute value of x-2 indicates that the slope of the function changes at x=2.

2. How do I graph f'(x) = abs(x-2)?

To graph f'(x) = abs(x-2), first plot a point at (2,0) since the derivative is 0 at x=2. Then, on either side of x=2, draw a straight line with a positive slope since the derivative is positive. Finally, connect these lines smoothly at x=2 to create a "V" shaped graph.

3. What does the "V" shape of the graph represent?

The "V" shape of the graph represents a point of inflection where the slope of the function changes from negative to positive or vice versa. In this case, the point of inflection is at x=2 where the derivative changes from negative to positive.

4. Can you explain why the graph has a hole at x=2?

The hole at x=2 is due to the discontinuity of the derivative at that point. Since the absolute value function is not differentiable at x=2, the derivative has a hole at that point.

5. How does the graph of f'(x) = abs(x-2) relate to the graph of f(x)?

The graph of f'(x) = abs(x-2) represents the slope of the graph of f(x). Where the graph of f(x) has a positive slope, the graph of f'(x) will be above the x-axis. Where the graph of f(x) has a negative slope, the graph of f'(x) will be below the x-axis. Additionally, the point of inflection on the graph of f'(x) corresponds to a point of maximum or minimum on the graph of f(x).