Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If I attached a self-made voltage multiplier to batteries + mechanical commutator

1. Sep 26, 2008 #1
    I saw the following video:

Lecture Series on Electronics For Analog Signal Processing I by Prof.K.Radhakrishna Rao, Department of Electrical Engineering,IIT Madras. For more details on NPTEL visit http://nptel.iitm.ac.in
    Category: Education
    Tags:
    Voltage Multiplier

So I was wondering, is it possible that attaching a pack of batteries coupled with a motor with a mechanical commutator (for a DC electric motor) and a voltage multiplier allow me to effectively increase the voltage of the VDC output in opposite polarity provided that the system has a mechanical commutation?

Say for example I have the following:

Code (Text):

__-INDUCTOR+__COMMUTATOR ON STEEL SHAFT
     |              |
     |              |
     |__|CAP|_______|
     |      /\      |
     |     /  \     |
     -    /    \    |
    BAT D^O    DVO  |
     +  /        \  |
     | /          \ |
     |/______|CAP|_\|

Would that work?

Is the following better?

Code (Text):

|              |
     |              |
     |__|CAP|_______|
     |      /\      
     |     /  \      
     -    /    \    
    BAT D^O    DVO  
     +  /        \  
     | /          \  
     |/______|CAP|_\

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2008 #2
    Re: If I attached a self-made voltage multiplier to batteries + mechanical commutator

What about:

Code (Text):

|              |
     |              |
     |__|CAP|       |
     |      /\      |      
     |     /  \     |
     -    /    \    |
    BAT D^O    DVO  |
     +  /        \  |
     | /          \ |
     |/______|CAP|_\|

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  4. Sep 26, 2008 #3
    Re: If I attached a self-made voltage multiplier to batteries + mechanical commutator

I don't follow what you are trying to do?

5. Sep 26, 2008 #4

It's for a motor.

To describe the motor, it has a high L/R time constant and is generally high torque and low rpm. The armature (electromagnet) sits, while the rotor (magnet) interacts with the electromagnet's changing field.

In particular, I am looking to increase the no-load rpm using this system of capacitors and diodes. Also, increasing the voltage should allow the current to rise faster as well.

But to answer my question, you'll have to address what you can tell from the circuit diagrams above.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?