Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If I wanted to create a hand crank to spin this dc motor

1. Nov 28, 2011 #1
    If I wanted to create a hand crank to spin this dc motor....

I want to create a handcrank to spin a DC motor at 24000 rpm. The DC motor is an 18V hobby motor from radioshack. Is this possible?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2011 #2
    Re: If I wanted to create a hand crank to spin this dc motor....

What is the required torque and size of the shaft?

4. Nov 29, 2011 #3

An 18V DC motor from RadioShack can not handle 24,000 RPM. And you couldn't possible crank it that fast without ridiculous gear ratios.

5. Nov 29, 2011 #4

Are you talking about a hand-cranked generator to power the motor?

6. Nov 29, 2011 #5

I think that is going to be very difficult. Not impossible, but very difficult depending on your available resources...Do you have a specific application in mind, or is it pure curiosity?

7. Nov 29, 2011 #6

a 1:200 gear ration should get you close, assuming you can turn a crank at 2 HZ.
    2 turns per second X 200 gear ration = 400 cycles/second X 60 = 24000 cycles per min.
    There might be many better and easier ways to do this. A compresses air nozzle on an old hard drive, should get over 400 HZ. (put the thing is some sort of safety cage, as it may come apart.) The hard drive has a built in 12 volt motor.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook