If I wanted to create a hand crank to spin this dc motor

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
jhendren
Messages
34
Reaction score
0
If I wanted to create a hand crank to spin this dc motor...

I want to create a handcrank to spin a DC motor at 24000 rpm. The DC motor is an 18V hobby motor from radioshack. Is this possible?
 
Physics news on Phys.org


What is the required torque and size of the shaft?
 


An 18V DC motor from RadioShack can not handle 24,000 RPM. And you couldn't possible crank it that fast without ridiculous gear ratios.
 


Are you talking about a hand-cranked generator to power the motor?
 


jhendren said:
I want to create a handcrank to spin a DC motor at 24000 rpm. The DC motor is an 18V hobby motor from radioshack. Is this possible?

I think that is going to be very difficult. Not impossible, but very difficult depending on your available resources...Do you have a specific application in mind, or is it pure curiosity?
 


a 1:200 gear ration should get you close, assuming you can turn a crank at 2 HZ.
2 turns per second X 200 gear ration = 400 cycles/second X 60 = 24000 cycles per min.
There might be many better and easier ways to do this. A compresses air nozzle on an old hard drive, should get over 400 HZ. (put the thing is some sort of safety cage, as it may come apart.) The hard drive has a built in 12 volt motor.