1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If integral f =0, prove that f(x)=0 for all x in [a,b]

1. Feb 3, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose f is continuous on [a,b] with f(x) >= 0 for all x in [a,b].

If [tex] \int_a^b \! f = 0 [/tex] , prove that f(x)=0 for all x in [a,b].

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Assume [tex] \int_a^b \! f = 0 [/tex].

Then the lower and upper sums equal 0 also. I looked at the definitions of these and came up with,

[tex] \sum_{i=1}^n ( inf\{ f(x) : x_{i-1} \leq x \leq x_i \} )( \bigtriangleup x_i )=0 [/tex].

This looks obvious to me but that usually means I'm missing something because I don't know where to use that f is continuous.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2009 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

HINT: It may be better to use the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus.
  4. Feb 3, 2009 #3
    I don't "know" that yet. I am supposed to prove this without that.
  5. Feb 3, 2009 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Suppose there is an x0 in [a,b] such that f(x0)=c>0. Can you show there is a lower sum that is greater than 0?
  6. Feb 3, 2009 #5
    Should I define a partition? If f(x_0)=c and c > 0 then the function must go up to atleast c, and since it is continuous it does not "jump" there.

I was thinking of making a small partition of a,x_0, and b. I then know what the sup or inf values of the two rectangles (speaking of the hieghts) will be greater than or equal to x_0 for the upper sum.

Would this do it? I figure that the upper sum and the lower are equal since the integral in the problem was defined as existing?
  7. Feb 3, 2009 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No. Knowing a particular upper sum is greater than zero doesn't get
    you anywhere all you know is that the integral is less or equal to
    any upper sum.

But, yes. Make a partition. Use the epsilon-delta definition of continuity to show there is an interval around x0 such that f>c/2 on that interval. The use the endpoints of that interval to define the partition.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?