If light has mass, and is a wave

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of light and its behavior in the double slit experiment. The question of whether photons interact with each other is raised, and it is mentioned that photons do not have mass. The speaker also shares their own experience with the experiment and the results they obtained.
DamonX
Firstly, I'd like to say that I'm not exactly well versed in physics, so this may seem like a silly question, but I'm kind of interested. :P

I was watching some videos and doing some research on the "double slit experiment", and I started thinking about light. Why is it that if you would shoot light through two slits you just get the two bands of light? If light is actually waves, wouldn't you get that interference pattern?

The only thing I can think of is that photons don't interact with one another, but then it's claimed that photons have mass, even if it's minuscule. So it should be possible for photons to be bouncing off one another, no?

EDIT: Actually, I was wrong, perhaps I should have looked up photons before I asked. :P Though I thought I heard somewhere that photons have mass. Anyway, I guess I should change the question to "Do photons interact with one another?"

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
Hi there,

It is not claimed that photons have mass, they just behave as if they would have mass.

As you abviously saw from the double slit experiment, photons do interact one another. The interaction can be constructive or destructive. What more of an example do you need?

Cheers

Yes they do interact with each other.
Another question, where did you read that about getting two bands of light when shooting light through two slits? You can even try it yourself, you'll get an interference pattern. That was the most important result of Young's double slit experiment.
Also, photons don't have any mass.

1. What is the relationship between light and mass?

The relationship between light and mass is a complex and ongoing topic of scientific research. While light does not have mass in the traditional sense, it does have energy and momentum, which can be thought of as equivalent to mass. This is due to the dual nature of light, which exhibits both particle-like and wave-like behavior.

2. How can light be both a wave and a particle?

This is a fundamental question in quantum mechanics. While light is traditionally thought of as a wave, experiments have shown that it also behaves like a particle. This duality is known as wave-particle duality and is a key concept in understanding the behavior of light.

3. Does light always have mass?

No, light does not always have mass. Photons, which are particles of light, do not have mass. However, in certain situations, such as in a dense medium or in a strong gravitational field, the energy and momentum of light can behave as if it has mass.

4. What is the significance of light having mass?

The concept of light having mass has important implications in the fields of cosmology and particle physics. It helps us understand the behavior of light and its interactions with matter, and it plays a crucial role in our understanding of the fundamental forces of nature.

5. Is the mass of light measurable?

While the energy and momentum of light can be measured, the concept of mass for light is not easily measurable. This is because the mass of an object is a measure of its resistance to acceleration, and light always travels at the speed of light, making it impossible to accelerate. However, scientists are constantly exploring new ways to measure the mass of light in different contexts and scenarios.