1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If light has mass, and is a wave

1. Nov 16, 2009 #1
    Firstly, I'd like to say that I'm not exactly well versed in physics, so this may seem like a silly question, but I'm kind of interested. :P

I was watching some videos and doing some research on the "double slit experiment", and I started thinking about light. Why is it that if you would shoot light through two slits you just get the two bands of light? If light is actually waves, wouldn't you get that interference pattern?

The only thing I can think of is that photons don't interact with one another, but then it's claimed that photons have mass, even if it's minuscule. So it should be possible for photons to be bouncing off one another, no?

EDIT: Actually, I was wrong, perhaps I should have looked up photons before I asked. :P Though I thought I heard somewhere that photons have mass. Anyway, I guess I should change the question to "Do photons interact with one another?"

Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2009 #2
    Hi there,

It is not claimed that photons have mass, they just behave as if they would have mass.

As you abviously saw from the double slit experiment, photons do interact one another. The interaction can be constructive or destructive. What more of an example do you need?

Cheers

4. Nov 16, 2009 #3
    Yes they do interact with each other.
    Another question, where did you read that about getting two bands of light when shooting light through two slits? You can even try it yourself, you'll get an interference pattern. That was the most important result of Young's double slit experiment.
    Also, photons don't have any mass.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook