If McCain-Palin are elected what is the reality of the chance of an AA president?

• Thread starter GCT
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reality
In summary, many people believe that if McCain and Palin are elected it would mean that African Americans have virtually zero chance of obtaining the presidency in the future.
LowlyPion said:
You know when I first read the title for this thread, my first thought was "Does McCain have a drinking problem, or is it Palin?"

Don't worry, that's what I thought too.

Physics news on Phys.org
russ_watters said:
This is 2008. In order to get past the concept of race, we need candidates who act like they are above the concept, not candidates who act like this is 1962. My mother is an administrator ad a nursery school. The kids at the school are largely oblivious to the concept of race. They don't know race is an important concept until they are told. Wouldn't this country be a better place if we never told them?

My mother is reading his book. I'll have to get it when she's done. Apparently, it is basically about how he came to choose his identity.

I agree that it's a bit annoying that Obama has deliberately identified himself with the African American community, it does seem that he is playing the race card a bit.

Yet here's a question for every one of you

If you were Obama what kind of church would you affiliate yourself with , assuming Obama's beliefs are legit? Yes there are " mixed " churches out there and they are of the pentacostal denomination , the others even if mixed are not proportionate in representation.

Do we teach about " black " and " white " to our children this day and age? Not that I know of. The US is relatively ignorant to what exactly constitutes the two terms , eventually as these children grow they need to deal with the concept in their own way. The trouble comes from the fact that these terms have inherent connotations ... as the Harvard study demonstrates ( the one posted by Tribdog ). Europe's youth are much better educated on the history of how " blacks " and " whites " came about - that is about their historical connection with Europe and so on. They can identify a mixed person based on facial analysis. Quite frankly they are much better off than us with respect to the " black " and " white " issue. We're dealing with trashy concepts such as " black " and " white " and I sense that this is the problem.

The terms are specifically linked to " good " and " bad " , what else do the children have to go by? If we only had a system that could identify the exact historical ancestry of an individual ... I wonder how that would change the US. Perhaps this would mean more grouping within the caucasians i.e. Irish heritage gathering with the Irish , and yes we've had this problem before.

Education is the key here. Not teaching them is the problem. Children in the US have soley " good " and " bad " to work with.

tribdog said:
You all realize that you are insinuating white=good/black=bad, don't you? Saying he is black but lives like a white is so insulting. I thought we had more intelligent, less prejudiced people here. To even argue over it is ridiculous, because once a racist always a racist. Even if its just a "closet racist"

You completely misunderstand what I am saying. There is a definite Black Culture within the US. They have their own music, their own life style, own beliefs. This makes them no better or worse than anyone else.

Mr. Obama was simply not raised in the American Black Culture. He is not culturally a Black American. Period. He was raised in a mixture of cultures, but the American White culture was dominate. Does this make him better than anyone else? Of course not. However, he is NOT a Black American culturally. He is a white with dark skin.

As I said before a lot of people raised in the Black American Culture found Obama discomforting for this very reason since people tend to identify with people from their own culture. Whites however immediately identified with him and were comfortable with him for this very reason. Obama is part of their culture.

Last edited:
LowlyPion said:
You know when I first read the title for this thread, my first thought was "Does McCain have a drinking problem, or is it Palin?"

That is what I thought too.

<h2>1. What is the likelihood of an African American president if McCain-Palin are elected?</h2><p>The likelihood of an African American president being elected if McCain-Palin are elected is very low. While it is not impossible, it is highly unlikely due to the fact that McCain and Palin are both white and have not expressed support for diversity in their campaigns.</p><h2>2. How has the election of McCain-Palin affected the chances of an African American president?</h2><p>The election of McCain-Palin has not significantly affected the chances of an African American president. While it may have created some barriers for diversity in politics, it ultimately depends on the individual candidates and their campaigns.</p><h2>3. Has the election of Barack Obama increased the likelihood of another African American president?</h2><p>The election of Barack Obama has certainly opened doors for other African American candidates in the future, but it does not necessarily guarantee another African American president. Each candidate must still run a successful campaign and gain support from the majority of voters.</p><h2>4. Are there any potential African American candidates in the Republican party who could become president if McCain-Palin are elected?</h2><p>There are currently no African American candidates in the Republican party who have a strong chance of becoming president if McCain-Palin are elected. However, this could change in the future as the party evolves and diversifies.</p><h2>5. How can we increase the likelihood of an African American president regardless of who is elected?</h2><p>The best way to increase the likelihood of an African American president is to support and vote for diverse candidates at all levels of government. This will create a more diverse pool of candidates for future presidential elections and increase the chances of an African American president being elected. Additionally, advocating for policies and initiatives that promote diversity and inclusivity in politics can also help pave the way for a more diverse presidential candidate pool.</p>

1. What is the likelihood of an African American president if McCain-Palin are elected?

The likelihood of an African American president being elected if McCain-Palin are elected is very low. While it is not impossible, it is highly unlikely due to the fact that McCain and Palin are both white and have not expressed support for diversity in their campaigns.

2. How has the election of McCain-Palin affected the chances of an African American president?

The election of McCain-Palin has not significantly affected the chances of an African American president. While it may have created some barriers for diversity in politics, it ultimately depends on the individual candidates and their campaigns.

3. Has the election of Barack Obama increased the likelihood of another African American president?

The election of Barack Obama has certainly opened doors for other African American candidates in the future, but it does not necessarily guarantee another African American president. Each candidate must still run a successful campaign and gain support from the majority of voters.

4. Are there any potential African American candidates in the Republican party who could become president if McCain-Palin are elected?

There are currently no African American candidates in the Republican party who have a strong chance of becoming president if McCain-Palin are elected. However, this could change in the future as the party evolves and diversifies.

5. How can we increase the likelihood of an African American president regardless of who is elected?

The best way to increase the likelihood of an African American president is to support and vote for diverse candidates at all levels of government. This will create a more diverse pool of candidates for future presidential elections and increase the chances of an African American president being elected. Additionally, advocating for policies and initiatives that promote diversity and inclusivity in politics can also help pave the way for a more diverse presidential candidate pool.