If n is a natural number and n^2 is odd, then n is odd

• Thread starter mrchris
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Natural
In summary: If so, I can see why you have not yet learned about prime factorisations. But why is contrapositive not allowed?In summary, the conversation discusses the proof of the statement "if n^2 is odd, then n is odd" by using a direct proof and a contrapositive proof. The direct proof involves using the fact that an even number can be written as 2k for some integer k, and finding the prime factorization of n^2. The contrapositive proof involves using the fact that an odd number has the form 2k+1 and discussing the use of prime factorizations and properties of primes. However, the person asking the question is limited to only using concepts they have learned in their analysis class
mrchris

Homework Statement

if n is a natural number and n2 is odd, then n is odd

Homework Equations

odd numbers: 2k+1, where k is an integer
even numbers: 2K, where k is an integer

The Attempt at a Solution

ok so take the opposite to be true, or n2 is odd and n is even. Then we would have n2= 2p+1 and n=2k, where p and k are both integers. then take n2= (2k)2= (22)(k2)= 4k2
Then set 2p+1= 4k2
4k2-2p=1
2(2k2-p)=1
(2k2-p)=1/2
but since we know 2k2 is an integer because it is just the product of 3 integers, 2*k*k, and we also know p is an integer by definition, we also know that (2k2-p) is an integer because it is the subtraction of two integers. This leaves us with a contradiction since we know (2k2-p) can not equal 1/2, hence proof is complete.

Physics news on Phys.org
OK, I didn't really carefully look at your proof, but it seems to be correct.

HOWEVER, this is not a very satisfying proof. In Number Theory, we are VERY concerned with PRIME FACTORS of numbers. Now, I am going to give you two hints. Let [itex]n = p_1^{k_1}\cdots p_m^{k_m}[/itex] be the prime factorisation of [itex]n[/itex]. NOW, what is the prime factorisation of [itex]n[/itex] (just square the one for [itex]n[/itex]. That was hint #1. Here is hint #2: In terms of prime factors, what does it mean for a number to be odd or even?

Now, use prime factorisations and properties of primes to give what is essentially a 1 line proof.

Statement: if n^2 is odd then n is odd.

Contrapositive: if n is even then n^2 is even.

Prove the statement by proving the contrapositive.
"if n is even" we can write n= 2k for some integer k. What is n^2?

(I would NOT use "prime factorization.)

HallsofIvy said:
Statement: if n^2 is odd then n is odd.

Contrapositive: if n is even then n^2 is even.

Prove the statement by proving the contrapositive.
"if n is even" we can write n= 2k for some integer k. What is n^2?

(I would NOT use "prime factorization.)

Why not use prime factorisation? For example:

EDIT:
I gave the answer here. So I deleted it.I didn't mean to suggest that he should write out the prime factorisation of [itex]n[/itex] as I did, I just did that to explain. The proof that I did have above was a direct proof (not that there is anything wrong with contrapositive) and is one line.

Thanks for the advice, both of your answers seem to make sense, but I am in an analysis class and I can only use what I've learned in the class so far in my proofs. We definitely haven't worked with prime factorization officially yet, so even though that argument may be more straight forward, I can't use it. As for the contrapositive, we haven't learned that either (which seems weird to me because it is commonly used for analysis online), so that is off limits as well.

?
This seems very strange to me. So you did learn (in an analysis class) that an odd number has the form 2k+1 but no one mentioned that integers have prime factorisations? And you are not allowed to use contrapositive?

Is this class on some odd schedule and is it just now beginning?

1. Is the statement "If n is a natural number and n^2 is odd, then n is odd" true for all natural numbers?

Yes, the statement is true for all natural numbers. This can be proven by contrapositive. If n is even, then n^2 is also even, which contradicts the given statement that n^2 is odd.

2. Why is it important to specify that n is a natural number in the statement?

Specifying that n is a natural number is important because the statement may not hold true for all integers. For example, if n is a negative integer, then n^2 is positive and therefore, not odd.

3. Can the statement be rewritten as "If n is an odd natural number, then n^2 is odd"?

No, the statement cannot be rewritten in this way. This is because there are odd natural numbers whose squares are not odd. For example, 3 is an odd natural number, but 3^2 is 9, which is not odd.

4. Does the statement hold true for irrational numbers?

No, the statement only holds true for natural numbers. Irrational numbers do not follow the same rules as natural numbers and therefore, the statement cannot be applied to them.

5. Can the statement be proven using mathematical induction?

Yes, the statement can be proven using mathematical induction. The base case is n = 1, which satisfies the statement. For the inductive step, assume that the statement is true for n = k. Then, for n = k+1, we have (k+1)^2 = k^2 + 2k + 1. Since k^2 is odd (by the inductive hypothesis), 2k is even, and 1 is odd, the sum of these terms is odd, and therefore (k+1)^2 is odd. This proves the statement for all natural numbers.