If only I was born a couple hundred years earlier

In summary, if only I was born a couple hundred years earlier, I would have lived in a very different world. I would have experienced life without modern technology, witnessed historical events firsthand, and possibly had different opportunities and social norms. Although it's impossible to know for sure, it's fascinating to imagine how different my life would have been in a different time period.
LogicX
When I was in high school and first learned about the laws of thermodynamics, I independently postulated the heat death of the universe (of course I didn't know it was called that at the time).

A few years later and I find out that some guys in the 1800s beat me to it.

What do you think, should I go amend the wikipedia article to attribute co-creation of this idea to myself? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_death_of_the_universe

Physics news on Phys.org
LogicX said:
When I was in high school and first learned about the laws of thermodynamics, I independently postulated the heat death of the universe (of course I didn't know it was called that at the time).

A few years later and I find out that some guys in the 1800s beat me to it.

What do you think, should I go amend the wikipedia article to attribute co-creation of this idea to myself? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_death_of_the_universe

Isn't that just intuition?

I have the same problem. My ideas are good and original. Unfortunately the original ones aren't good and the good ones aren't original.

I had an idea for a tooth brush with the toothpaste tube attached and you squeeze it and the toothpaste comes up through the bristles. Already done.

I go through this in math sometimes. I do so wish I lived back before all the easy stuff was already invented/discovered.

No, all you get is self-satisfaction, sorry.

I gave up trying to invent stuff. Every idea I've ever had someone has either beat me to it or there was a serious flaw in my idea, enough to scrap the idea.

That's not to say I haven't done a good job of coming up with quick and dirty mechanical solutions on the fly. I wouldn't call them inventions, though. Just quick, temporary fixes.

I'm afraid if I'd been born 200 years earlier, I'd more than likely have spent most of that life staring at the back end of a plow horse.

the problem is, once the underlying discoveries are made, the implications are often obvious. i think this is why you so often get simultaneous discoveries of the same science independently. those independents have access to the same knowledge base, and the results are obvious to both.

the answer was actually handed to you, in a nice tidy package.

1. What would be different if I was born a couple hundred years earlier?

If you were born a couple hundred years earlier, you would have grown up in a very different world. Technology, culture, and societal norms would all be vastly different.

2. Would I have had different opportunities in life if I was born a couple hundred years earlier?

It is likely that you would have had different opportunities if you were born a couple hundred years earlier. Education, career options, and social expectations were all very different in the past.

3. Would my life be easier or harder if I was born a couple hundred years earlier?

It is difficult to say whether your life would be easier or harder if you were born a couple hundred years earlier. While there may have been fewer modern conveniences, there were also different challenges and hardships that people faced in the past.

4. How would my beliefs and values differ if I was born a couple hundred years earlier?

Your beliefs and values would likely be influenced by the time period and culture in which you were born. Religion, politics, and social norms were all different in the past and would have shaped your worldview.

5. What lessons can we learn from looking back at the past and imagining ourselves born a couple hundred years earlier?

Looking back at the past and imagining ourselves born a couple hundred years earlier can teach us about the progress and advancements that have been made in society. It can also help us appreciate the present and understand the impact of historical events on our lives today.