Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If someone had listened to FBI agent

1. Apr 16, 2004 #1

amp

John O'Neil could 911 have been prevented? The commission doesn't seem to have addressed Mr. O'Neil in their questioning.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2004 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I'm not sure who Mr. O'Neil is, but there were enough people in the FBI (and CIA) with enough information that if it had been combined, it could have prevented 911. Part of what makes 911 such a trajedy is that failure.

4. Apr 16, 2004 #3

amp

5. Apr 16, 2004 #4

Njorl

Science Advisor

AMp,
    Thanks for the link. I missed the program last night, and wanted to see it. It looks like they will let you view the whole thing on-line.
    Njorl

6. Apr 16, 2004 #5

amp

De Nada Njorl, I must say I was appalled at what this man knew and how he was taken 'out of the loop'.

7. Apr 16, 2004 #6
    Did you see that show 2 years ago when it first aired? Excellent journalism, truly. O'Neil was working closely with Richard Clarke, and he was basically ignored even though he had the Phoenix memo which articulated that Al Qaida was planning to hit US landmarks with airplanes, and he also had the names of several of the hijackers, and knew that they were taking flight lessons in Minnesota. Too bad he was ignored eh?

8. Apr 16, 2004 #7

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Thanks - I'll read it. The most prominent person I have heard of (again, I don't remember the name) is that woman who was head of a field office and after 911 wrote (and walked up) a letter to her chain of command - all the way up to Cogress - about the bureucratic failures of the FBI. She and two other women were Time's "people" of the year a couple of years ago - "the whistleblowers".

9. Apr 17, 2004 #8

Tsu

Gold Member

I'm not sure what you mean by 'addressing Mr. O'Neil in their questioning'. Do you mean calling him before the commission and questioning him? I think that might be a problem... I believe his last position was Ass't Special Agent in Charge of Counterterrorism and National Security with the FBI at their New York Office, but it would be difficult to question him directly. He died on 9/11 in the Twin Towers. He had left the FBI in Aug 2001 (largely, it seems, because no one would listen to him about what he had found out about Al-Queda, etc.) and took a job as head of security of the WTC.

It's possible that the communication problems that are being discovered by the 911 Commission stems from his memos not being passed on to the proper people and/or memos from Arizona's and Minnesota's FBI (regarding recommendations to investigate local pilot training programs) not being passed to him. So, perhaps in this way, they actually are addressing this information. Or do you know for sure that this is not the case?

Very interesting site, BTW.

10. Apr 17, 2004 #9
    I believe he meant that the topic of John O' Neill wasn't addressed. Since O' Neill has been researching Al Qeada and Bin Laden ever since.

And he died in the twin towers..a hero

11. Apr 21, 2004 #10

amp

Thanks Professional thats exactly what I meant. BUT WAIT THERES MORE! If I can find the site again.

Maybe here: http://www.fromthewilderness.com/ or this:

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/us/DailyNews/jointchiefs_010501.html <---<< what is talked about in this report is one reason I give credence to conspircy theorist who first touted that there was/is some hidden involvement of the Bush admin. Classifying a note, document, memo as TOP SECRET is an excellent way to move in shadow.

heres another: http://www.irregulartimes.com/

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?