If someone had listened to FBI agent

• News
  • Thread starter amp
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed John O'Neil and whether or not 911 could have been prevented. The commission did not seem to address O'Neil in their questioning, but he had been working closely with Richard Clarke and had important information about Al Qaida's plans. However, O'Neil died in the Twin Towers on 9/11 and his memos may have not been passed on to the proper people. Some believe there may have been a conspiracy involving the Bush administration in hiding information.
amp
John O'Neil could 911 have been prevented? The commission doesn't seem to have addressed Mr. O'Neil in their questioning.

Physics news on Phys.org
amp said:
John O'Neil could 911 have been prevented? The commission doesn't seem to have addressed Mr. O'Neil in their questioning.
I'm not sure who Mr. O'Neil is, but there were enough people in the FBI (and CIA) with enough information that if it had been combined, it could have prevented 911. Part of what makes 911 such a trajedy is that failure.

AMp,
Thanks for the link. I missed the program last night, and wanted to see it. It looks like they will let you view the whole thing on-line.
Njorl

De Nada Njorl, I must say I was appalled at what this man knew and how he was taken 'out of the loop'.

Did you see that show 2 years ago when it first aired? Excellent journalism, truly. O'Neil was working closely with Richard Clarke, and he was basically ignored even though he had the Phoenix memo which articulated that Al Qaida was planning to hit US landmarks with airplanes, and he also had the names of several of the hijackers, and knew that they were taking flight lessons in Minnesota. Too bad he was ignored eh?

amp said:
Russ, you will find an interview and program on and about Mr. O'Neil here:http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/knew/ titiled 'The Man Who Knew'
Thanks - I'll read it. The most prominent person I have heard of (again, I don't remember the name) is that woman who was head of a field office and after 911 wrote (and walked up) a letter to her chain of command - all the way up to Cogress - about the bureucratic failures of the FBI. She and two other women were Time's "people" of the year a couple of years ago - "the whistleblowers".

amp said:

I'm not sure what you mean by 'addressing Mr. O'Neil in their questioning'. Do you mean calling him before the commission and questioning him? I think that might be a problem... I believe his last position was Ass't Special Agent in Charge of Counterterrorism and National Security with the FBI at their New York Office, but it would be difficult to question him directly. He died on 9/11 in the Twin Towers. He had left the FBI in Aug 2001 (largely, it seems, because no one would listen to him about what he had found out about Al-Queda, etc.) and took a job as head of security of the WTC.

It's possible that the communication problems that are being discovered by the 911 Commission stems from his memos not being passed on to the proper people and/or memos from Arizona's and Minnesota's FBI (regarding recommendations to investigate local pilot training programs) not being passed to him. So, perhaps in this way, they actually are addressing this information. Or do you know for sure that this is not the case?

Very interesting site, BTW.

Tsunami said:
I'm not sure what you mean by 'addressing Mr. O'Neil in their questioning'. Do you mean calling him before the commission and questioning him? I think that might be a problem... I believe his last position was Ass't Special Agent in Charge of Counterterrorism and National Security with the FBI at their New York Office, but it would be difficult to question him directly. He died on 9/11 in the Twin Towers. He had left the FBI in Aug 2001 (largely, it seems, because no one would listen to him about what he had found out about Al-Queda, etc.) and took a job as head of security of the WTC.

I believe he meant that the topic of John O' Neill wasn't addressed. Since O' Neill has been researching Al Qeada and Bin Laden ever since.

And he died in the twin towers..a hero

Thanks Professional that's exactly what I meant. BUT WAIT THERES MORE! If I can find the site again.

Maybe here: http://www.fromthewilderness.com/ or this:

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/us/DailyNews/jointchiefs_010501.html <---<< what is talked about in this report is one reason I give credence to conspircy theorist who first touted that there was/is some hidden involvement of the Bush admin. Classifying a note, document, memo as TOP SECRET is an excellent way to move in shadow.

heres another: http://www.irregulartimes.com/

FAQ: If someone had listened to FBI agent

1. What would have happened if someone had listened to the FBI agent's warning?

If someone had listened to the FBI agent's warning, they could have prevented a potentially dangerous situation from occurring. They would have had valuable information and evidence to take necessary actions and prevent harm or loss.

2. Why is it important to listen to FBI agents?

FBI agents are highly trained and experienced professionals who specialize in preventing and solving crimes. They have access to information and resources that can greatly benefit individuals and communities. It is important to listen to them in order to stay informed and safe.

3. How can listening to FBI agents impact society?

Listening to FBI agents can have a positive impact on society by promoting safety and security. By heeding their warnings and following their advice, individuals and communities can prevent crime and protect themselves from potential threats. This can lead to a safer and more peaceful society.

4. What are some common misconceptions about the FBI?

One common misconception about the FBI is that they only investigate federal crimes. In reality, they also have jurisdiction over certain state and local crimes, as well as international crimes. Another misconception is that they have unlimited power and authority, when in fact they must follow strict legal guidelines and obtain warrants for certain actions.

5. Can the FBI be trusted?

The FBI is a highly respected and reputable law enforcement agency. While there have been instances of misconduct and controversy within the organization, overall they are a trusted and reliable source of information and protection. As with any organization, it is important to hold them accountable and address any issues, but the vast majority of FBI agents are dedicated to serving and protecting the public.