If the electrons are small tiny dipoles, how do then they refuse?

In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of electrons as small tiny dipoles and how they interact with each other. It was clarified that electrons are not dipoles by themselves and do not have an electric dipole moment, but they do have a magnetic dipole moment due to their spin. This is related to gyromagnetic ratios and g-factors.
stmartin
If the electrons are small tiny dipoles, how do then they refuse them selfs? Thanks. I appreciate your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure I understand your terminology. Electrons are not dipoles by themselves, unless you are referring to something other than an electric dipole. Could you please clarify, and provide a web pointer to what you are asking about?

stmartin said:
If the electrons are small tiny dipoles, how do then they refuse them selfs? Thanks. I appreciate your help.

I think what you are asking is something like, "If I imagine that the electron's dipole moment is produced by two opposite charges some small distance apart then what holds the two charges at that fixed small distance apart?"

Well, the electron's dipole moment is *not* produced by two small charges a fixed small distance apart. It is an intrinsic property of the electron itself proportional to its spin.

stmartin said:
I think he means that if the electrons are dipoles (one positive end and one negative end), then why doesn't the positive end of the dipole attract to the negative end of another electron.

Your assumption is wrong. Electrons are not dipoles.

Ok, thank you very much.

electronic confusion

The electron is a single point charge, and so does not have an electric dipole moment. However it does have a magnetic dipole moment - that is it does act like a little magnet in addition to its charge. This is related to its spin. Look up gyromagnetic ratios and g- factors.

1. How do electrons form dipoles?

Electrons are negatively charged particles that are constantly in motion around the nucleus of an atom. This motion creates a magnetic field around the electron, causing it to behave as a tiny dipole.

2. What causes electrons to refuse?

Electrons are fundamental particles and they do not have a conscious ability to refuse. However, they can be influenced by external forces such as other particles or electric fields, which can change their behavior and movement.

3. Can electrons be manipulated to change their dipole behavior?

Yes, electrons can be manipulated by applying an external electric or magnetic field. This can change their orientation and cause them to align in a certain direction, altering their dipole behavior.

4. Why is it important to understand the behavior of electrons as dipoles?

The behavior of electrons as dipoles is crucial in understanding many physical phenomena, such as magnetism and electricity. It also plays a crucial role in fields such as electronics and material science.

5. Are all electrons dipoles?

No, not all electrons behave as dipoles. This behavior is dependent on their motion and the external forces acting on them. Electrons in different energy states or orbitals may have different dipole behavior.