Dipole moment of small circular antenna - only magnetic?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 1K views
fhc6791
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
When making an extension from linear dipole antennas to small circular antennas, I am only coming across expressions for a magnetic dipole moment (as opposed to having just an electric dipole moment for a linear dipole antenna). The expression being:
m = πr2I at its peak

The above expression makes perfect sense and is not the problem, rather why only mention a magnetic dipole moment (M1) and no electric dipole moment (E1). Shouldn't it have one also? Or does its azimuthal symmetry (φ dependence) cancel out the effect, leaving only a magnetic dipole moment?

Thanks in advance. I would appreciate any insights!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, the more I am really looking at this, I realize that yes, the current is azimuthally symmetric. Sorry to answer my own question!