If you could send a message back in time to yourself in high school,what would it be?

• Thread starter FayeKane
  • Start date

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Re: If you could send a message back in time to yourself in high school,what would it

By the way, this thread has such perfect timing! I'm getting letters about my 20th high school reunion, and now that I've finally created a Facebook account (look for me at the PF Junkies group), I've had quite a lot of old high school classmates adding me to their friends' list and contacting me. I haven't talked to most of them in 20 years! It seems I was more popular in high school than I thought I was. People I thought didn't even like me are sending me messages wanting to be friends "again." Now that I'm conversing with some of these people 20 years later, I think I need to send myself a list of guys I should have dated but didn't even know they liked me back then!

turbo

Gold Member
Re: If you could send a message back in time to yourself in high school,what would it

Now that I'm conversing with some of these people 20 years later, I think I need to send myself a list of guys I should have dated but didn't even know they liked me back then!
I was really nerdy in HS, but participated in every sport and extracurricular activity that I could. My parents taught me to be polite and nice to everybody when I was a kid, and though that didn't cut much ice with the self-absorbed jerks in school, my demeanor seemed to carry over to the point where some girls that I thought were out of reach have told me in later years that they were carrying a torch.

WTF? What were the rules in rural towns in the '60s and how did things get so screwed up? In college, a very pretty younger lady that I had worshiped from afar sent me a letter from her new nursing school in Boston asking me to come visit her on Christmas break. Why weren't we hooked up during HS? I already had commitments that break. I guess I should have added to my list "Be nice to Becky! She already loves you!" and "Ignore her cranky dad and just date that girl." We were the leads in our senior class play, and the curtain-scene was a warm kiss. She loved play-practice as much as me although I didn't know it until later.

lisab

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

My message to myself would be...yes, it's been a bit of a rough ride to this point. But that's prepared you for the road ahead. Don't give up, and you'll do just fine.

DaveC426913

Gold Member

1] You are wasting the best opportunity you have to really be someone. Seriously. Do your homework.

2] Ask her out. You will not die.

3] Seriously. Homework.

1. There's a whole lotta hell coming your way, stick it out, you'll learn a crap load about yourself.

2. There's something good in everything that goes tits up.

3. Blues is what you should be listening to ;p

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Oh. I'd like to change my number 3.

3] By and large, you're going to be OK. Really.

Oh. I'd like to change my number 3.

3] By and large, you're going to be OK. Really.
Yes. I think that's one important thing I'd go back and tell myself. And the homework thing too. But mostly, yes, it'll be okay. Notwithstanding everything most people are trying to tell you right now, you're a pretty cool person.

Pythagorean

Gold Member

I wouldn't bother... I wouldn't listen. Direct experience has always been my greatest teacher.

Pythagorean

Gold Member

2) Three in Roman numerals can be written as IIV and eight can be written as IIX. Knowing that makes it so much easier to do squares and square roots in your head.
dude, teach me your ways.

Now what would i tell myself if i could speak to myself when i was in high school?

1. Keep going.
2. Get Smarter.
3. Two more years left.

Of course to tell myself that in high school i would just have to wait 2 seconds.

(i'm in high school if you didn't realise already :D)

i'm sucking all this up keep it rolling!

dude, teach me your ways.
Yeah, that seems like a really handy trick.

i'm in high school if you didn't realise already :D
You have NO IDEA WHATSOEVER how lucky you are. Every single person here, no matter what they have accomplished and how much money they have, ALL of them would give it all up to trade positions with you.

Don't waste it.

--faye kane, homeless brain

Last edited by a moderator:

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

1) Don't worry about the details. Just go ahead, fail. By failing, you'll learn how to succeed. Just like an amateur fisherman, you won't catch the fish the first times, but later you'll.

1) Figure out how to write a decent paper on the the Large N limit of superconformal field theories and supergravity before 1998.

2) Publish a paper on how to solve the hierarchy problem with large extra dimensions within the same timeframe.

3) Sure she's great, but trust your intuition, 6 months was really the best of it. In fact, you should always trust your intuitions anyway.

Last edited:

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

You all really need to review the Temporal Prime Directive. Sheeeeesh.

MATLABdude

Science Advisor

1) Spend more time with your brother while you can; you might think he's a pain in the ***, but if you don't, and don't get him away from the computer more often, trust me, it'll be bad. Don't worry about being his best friend, but be there for him, and don't do it with resentment. But don't spoil him, either.

2) Don't let people walk all over you in University. You're a nice guy, but you need to look after yourself, too. This is not an invitation to be a jerk.

3) Make time for yourself. Go for that run / workout, go out to that party. Relax a little. But not too much.

Forget about studying math or physics, stick to engineering.

Go to class. You might like having a degree.

turbo

Gold Member

Forget about studying math or physics, stick to engineering.
NEVER drive over a bridge. It might have been designed by an "engineer" with no math or physics training.

Majoring in home ec could put you in competition with some blond making millions doing second grade crafts and pushing magazines with the drive of a drug dealer.

1. Do your senior year in Spain, not Australia. Exposure to a new culture and language will be invaluable.

2. You're a B+ student without doing any homework. Imagine what you could be if you actually WORKED at school.

3. Learn to budget!!!

BobG

Science Advisor
Homework Helper

You all really need to review the Temporal Prime Directive. Sheeeeesh.
The Prime Directive (from which the Temporal Prime Directive originated) was developed by the Vulcans after formation of the Federation. That means we have at least 200 years before any form of Prime Directive exists (lucky for you, since you violated the Temporal Prime Directive by revealing its existence to us over 200 years before its development).

In any event, the Prime Directive applies to people from advanced cultures revealing advanced technologies to a more primitive culture. It may be somewhat legitimate to consider an earlier version of your own culture to be a primitive culture that should be protected under the Prime Directive (as modified into the Temporal Prime Directive), but I think that restricting an individual's right to altering his own past would violate several constitutional rights that haven't yet been incorporated into the Constitution as Amendments 35 and 36. (The exception would be to reveal info about public commodities, such as stock info, lottery numbers, to an earlier version of yourself - hence FayeKane's directive to not include such things as "buy microsoft stock", "buy yahoo", etc. Obviously, that was a weak, weak warning, requiring substantial punishment.)

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

The Prime Directive (from which the Temporal Prime Directive originated) was developed by the Vulcans after formation of the Federation. That means we have at least 200 years before any form of Prime Directive exists (lucky for you, since you violated the Temporal Prime Directive by revealing its existence to us over 200 years before its development).
The importance of timeline preservation was first recognized first by Spock, and then James Kirk, in 1930, when Kirk refused to prevent Edith Keeler's death. [Again we find that we have a Vulcan to thank for recognizing the potential for disaster.] Witnesses were aware of this selfless act and have lobbied succesfully and in secret for timeline preservation ever since. The first official mention of the Temporal Prime Directive was in 2368, by Jean-Luc Picard, in what will be an alternate timeline.

In any event, the Prime Directive applies to people from advanced cultures revealing advanced technologies to a more primitive culture. It may be somewhat legitimate to consider an earlier version of your own culture to be a primitive culture that should be protected under the Prime Directive (as modified into the Temporal Prime Directive), but I think that restricting an individual's right to altering his own past would violate several constitutional rights that haven't yet been incorporated into the Constitution as Amendments 35 and 36. (The exception would be to reveal info about public commodities, such as stock info, lottery numbers, to an earlier version of yourself - hence FayeKane's directive to not include such things as "buy microsoft stock", "buy yahoo", etc. Obviously, that was a weak, weak warning, requiring substantial punishment.)
All Starfleet personnel are strictly forbidden from directly interfering with historical events and are required to maintain the timeline
The 42nd Ammendment to the Constitution will state that the Temporal Prime Directive applies to all people of the world, in all times, retroactively.

Last edited:

Decline firmly to smoke pot.

BobG

Science Advisor
Homework Helper

The importance of timeline preservation was first recognized first by Spock, and then James Kirk, in 1930, when Kirk refused to prevent Edith Keeler's death. [Again we find that we have a Vulcan to thank for recognizing the potential for disaster.] Witnesses were aware of this selfless act and have lobbied succesfully and in secret for timeline preservation ever since. The first official mention of the Temporal Prime Directive was in 2368, by Jean-Luc Picard, in what will be an alternate timeline.

The fact that there were witnesses that were aware of that selfless act, combined with the witnesses actually acting on what they witnessed just proves the Temporal Prime Directive is nothing more than a paper tiger. If time travel exists, irreversible interference into the past becomes unavoidable.

In fact, thanks to Spock's and the Romulan Nero's interference into the future past, the Jean-Luc Picard timeline may not even exist in any viable future anymore. Spock may have returned things as close as possible to their original state, but both Kirk and Spock have had their young adult years changed in the ways that change them ever so slightly from the characters they were in the original series.

Either altering the past creates a butterfly effect where minor changes become amplified by time and we have to wait for a whole new series of TV series and movies to find out what happens, or there's a "pressure" that makes a certain stream of reality more likely regardless of small deviations one way or the other, in which case the original series, TNG, etc all still apply. (If the latter, then those suggesting they wouldn't listen to a message from their future selves are probably the more realistic of us.)

Edit: The latter being a more natural and desirable state was the premise of Isaac Asimov's "The End of Eternity" (about the only time travel book I've ever really liked). One always had to be very careful to keep any changes to the time line to a bare minimum or else risk having the change spiral out of control into a whole new unpredictable future. By the way, this is supposed to be made into a http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118002742.html?categoryid=1237&cs=1 [Broken].

Last edited by a moderator: