Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If you put a noisy motor in a vacuum is it more efficient?

1. Dec 19, 2016 #1
    [EDIT]
    I am of the opinion that putting a noisy motor in a vacuum would make it more efficient, as it is not losing energy by sound anymore. Does this make sense? Or am I just confusing myself?

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 19, 2016 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Well, ask your self whether the "sound" is a cause or an affect.

EDIT: and by the way, asking others opinions without first offering your own is considered bad form on PF. It's like asking to be spoon-fed an answer and that's against forum rules.

4. Dec 19, 2016 #3

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Some big generators are housed in low pressure enclosures to minimize windage losses. But I think that an ordinary motor placed in a vacuum will have problems with cooling, i.e., compromised cooling. The rotor relies on air to redistribute heat, and the fan blades on the rotor will have no air to circulate in a vacuum. Consequently, the motor capacity may need to be derated. This doesn't directly address your question, however.

My thoughts are that, without the damping effect of air, a mechanical apparatus may vibrate with a tiny bit more amplitude. This may or may not equate to higher losses, though whatever the case I'd expect the difference to be miniscule.

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/holly-1756-gif.110502/

5. Dec 19, 2016 #4
    Sorry. This is my first ever post and I was just trying to be kind. Thanks for the animosity.

6. Dec 19, 2016 #5

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2017
  7. Dec 19, 2016 #6

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

No animosity intended and I'm sorry if it came across that way. I DID, I'm sorry to say, overlook the fact that it was your first post. I should have been more welcoming. This is a terrific forum but it's not one of those Q&A forums where you just ask whatever question you have and get an answer. We try to help people learn how to get answers on their own, rather than just give them the answer, so that was my intent.

8. Dec 19, 2016 #7
    dont worry man, i understand that you dont just want random questions to be asked.

9. Dec 19, 2016 #8

berkeman

So to get this thread back on track, in addition to the air resistance efficiency improvement mentioned, and the disadvantage of the loss of air cooling, there is one other important problem with trying to operate a traditional motor in a vacuum. @George Argyrou -- can you think what that problem might be? :smile:

10. Dec 19, 2016 #9
    if you are talking about the motor needing air for the fan to spin then yes. If not i have no idea

11. Dec 19, 2016 #10

berkeman

Hint -- think about the motor bearings and axle... Can you think about any issues that might come up in a vacuum?

12. Dec 19, 2016 #11
    only that they will heat up, but the questions states that cooling is not an issue. So i am still unsure :[ (P.S. i am not very good at this!!)

13. Dec 19, 2016 #12

berkeman

No worries. If we can guide you to think of the answer on your own, that is best. Lacking that, eventually we will try our best to help you out.

If you put some water in a vacuum environment, do you know what happens to it? And remember that motor bearings usually have some lubricant on them to keep friction low and provide long bearing life. How may these things apply to your question? :smile:

14. Dec 19, 2016 #13

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Motor noise is a major issue in some places. Many different things have been tried but one thing that will always help is a chunky case and some really good bearings. Expensive and not standard practice in domestic equipment.

15. Dec 19, 2016 #14
    I was wondering what the motor noise is assumed to be caused by in the problem statement. Worn bearings? The additional friction and vibration from that would not be helped by a vacuum environment.

If the noise is the air as it's blown over the case (TEFC: "total enclosed fan cooled" type) then that has been addressed as to possible cooling deficiencies introduced by a vacuum.

What other noises could there be? Electrical hum? Again, vacuum independent as far as any efficiency difference.

OK hold on. I think I'm beginning to understand the question as intended. If any noise, no matter the cause, is assumed to be a symptom of efficiency losses is eliminated by a vacuum, are the efficiency loss(es) eliminated? Noise is a bi-product. It's elimination by removal of air will not fix mechanical deficiencies.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
  16. Dec 19, 2016 #15

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Rattling laminations ("Batman") can be offensive, too.

17. Dec 19, 2016 #16

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You need to remember the sound energy is 'trivial', even when it's deafening. Our ears are about as sensitive as any other system known to man. We have a wood mouse that kicks up a 'terrible racket' in one of the internal voids of our house. It is probably producing just a few mW of vibrational noise whilst chewing on the timbers but it interferes with our sleep. You have to get these things in proportion when looking to improve efficiency. Best value is to sort out the thermal losses first. I2R really can count.

18. Dec 19, 2016 #17
    i think what i was really trying to get at was can we make a motor that is near 100% efficient

19. Dec 19, 2016 #18

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Getting to grips with the 5 to 10% that's due to thermal loss is more important than the 0.5% (or whatever) from the sound energy.

20. Dec 20, 2016 #19

Baluncore

Science Advisor

This is an electrical engineering forum, can we assume it is an electric motor, or maybe it could be a diesel motor driving an alternator ?
    What type of electric motor ?
    Why is it noisy ?
    Hydrogen is used for cooling big electric motors and alternators because it is less viscous than air and transfers heat better. Hydrogen cooling will probably make less noise than air cooling.

21. Dec 22, 2016 #20
    Of course, the energy lost by sound radiated into the air is very small, quite negligible. But from a theoretical point of view, when the motor starts, energy will be supplied to all parts which vibrate or rotate. Due to inertia (mass) and springiness in the construction, the energy will be stored until the motor is switched off and will then help it turn a bit more. But all the parts which rotate or vibrate will also radiate some energy as sound, and this energy will be lost continuously. So it will appear as very small resistance in series with the motor. But if the motor is placed in a vacuum, the parts will still vibrate and store energy but but the continuous loss of energy as sound radiated into the air will be removed. The vibrating parts will now vibrate more and store more energy.
    This operation is an exact parallel to the working of a radio transmitting antenna.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted