1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

IID Unbiased Estimator

1. Jul 9, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let Y_1, Y_2, Y_3, Y_4 be IID RV from a population with mean mu and variance sigma^2. Let Y^bar = .25(Y_1+Y_2+Y_3+Y_4) denote the average of these four RV's.

1)What are the expected value and variance of Y^bar in terms of mu and sigma^2

2)Consider a different estimator of mu... W = (1/8)Y_1 + (1/8)Y_2 + (1/4)Y_3 + (1/2)Y_4
    This is an example of a weighted average of Y_i. Show that W is also an unbiased estimator of mu and find V(W)

3)Based on your answer, which estimator of mu do you prefer, Y^bar or W.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Welp I'm not really sure where to start. I know that Y^bar is a sample mean from 4 samples while mu is the population mean based on every sample, but I do not know how to represent one in terms of the other

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 9, 2014 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Doesn't your text have formulas for the expected value and variance of a sum (linear combination) of IID random variables?

4. Jul 9, 2014 #3
    Sure does, but how to I express mean and variance IN TERMS of mu and sigma^2

Heres what I got outa the book...

so Y^bar = Sum(Y_i/n)

E(Y^bar) = E(Sum(Y_i/n)) = (1/4)Sum(E(Y_i)) = (1/4)Sum(mu)

V(Y^bar) = V(Sum(Y_i/n)) = (1/16)V(Sum(Y_i)) = (1/16)(Sum(Y_i) + 2 SumSumcov(Y_i, Y_j)) = (1/16)Sum(V(Y_i)) = (1/16)Sum(sigma^2)

So that's part one. Part two I am lossed with the weighted average parts. How would I go about that

5. Jul 9, 2014 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hopefully you are using proper notation on your worksheet. When you write (1/4)sum(mu) what you really mean is$$
    \frac 1 4\sum_{i=1}^4\mu$$What does that equal when you write it out?
    Same comment about the variance sums. And do you need the covariance for IID random variables?

6. Jul 9, 2014 #5
    Ya sorry about the notation, I'm not up to speed with this syntax

So now my question is regarding part two.... How would I find E(W) and V(W) when W = the sum of the weighted averages of Y (as apposed to part 1 where Y^bar was just the sum of the Y's divided by n = 4). Basically I'm confused what to do with the weights i.e. 1/8, 1/8, 1/4, 1/2???

7. Jul 9, 2014 #6

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have ##W=\sum c_iY_i## with ##Y_i## IID. Look in your text for the mean and variance formulas for such sums.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted