1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

IIR - Bilinear transform - simplifying H(z)

1. Feb 24, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hello,

I'm an audio engineer with an interest in creating/implementing audio processing techniques and I'm trying to learn IIR filter design via the Bilinear Transform method. I've looked through various books and online resources but I keep on getting stuck when it comes to simplifying H(z) in the final stages of the process. I'm sure the process is relatively straight forward but I cannot figure it out. I can usually 'get' most mathematical concepts but I've had no formal training, so I assume there is something that I'm missing here...

2. Relevant equations

In the most recent example, I have H(z) as....

[itex]\frac{0.3752^{2}} {\frac{1-z^{-1}}{1+z^{-1}}^{2} + \sqrt{2}(0.3752)\frac{1-z^{-1}}{1+z^{-1}} + (0.3752)^{2}}[/itex]

....and I need to simplify and collect terms of like powers of z in order to get to here.....

[itex]\frac{0.0842(1+z^{-1})^2} {1 - 1.0281z^-1 + 0.3651z^-2}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Unfortunately, I do not know how. I began by calculating the squared and sqroot tems then mutliplying all terms by (1 + z-1). But then I get stuck. Mostly, I'm miffed by the z-2 in the answer, where does this come from? Also, I don't see how I arrive at the coefficients.

I'd be very greatful if someone could explain how I might go about doing this. This is for my own understanding, so I need to know how I'd go about simplifying this - I already have the answer after all! I just need pointing in the right direction.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2012 #2
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook