1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Illustrate the definition of a limit

1. Sep 9, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    For the limit

lim
    x → 2 (x^3 − 3x + 5) = 7

illustrate the definition by finding the largest possible values of δ that correspond to ε = 0.2 and ε = 0.1. (Round your answers to four decimal places.)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've gotten x^3-3x=2.2, but I'm lost after that. My teacher gave a terrible description on what to do, and the book is of no help whatsoever.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2011 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

so lets start by writing x=2+d, with \delta =|d| and substitute in
    |((2+d)^3 − 3(2+d) + 5-7| <0.2

4. Sep 9, 2011 #3
    Alright, so now I've got
    d^3 + 6d^2 + 9 < 0.2

5. Sep 9, 2011 #4

lanedance

Homework Helper

That doesn't look quite right, i would check your steps. Also you can't drop the absolute value sign

6. Sep 9, 2011 #5
    |(2+d)^3 -6 - 3d - 2| < 0.2
    |d^3 +6d^2 + 12d + 8 - 6 - 3d - 2| < 0.2

= |d^3 + 6d^2 + 9d| < 0.2

7. Sep 9, 2011 #6
    I don't see at all how this is helpful, and cannot recall when this serves as a good approach.

fillipeano-
    I don't see how it is easier to solve it for a specific [itex]\epsilon[/itex] rather than a general one, so let's try and guide you on the general one. Then we'll just substitute the values given.

So let [itex]\epsilon[/itex] > 0.
    As usually, you need to start from the end.
    Let's say f(x) = x3 -3x + 5
    I can understand of course how you got to the equation you wrote, but it should actually be an inequality. We need to find a [itex]\delta[/itex], so that for each x for which |x-2|<[itex]\delta[/itex]| holds, |f(x) - 7|<[itex]\epsilon[/itex] also holds. (instead of saying [itex]\epsilon[/itex] you could say "0.2")

So, let see how we can "control" the expression |f(x)-7|:

|x3 -3x + 5 - 7| = |x3 - 3x-2|.
    Now we're stuck.
    However, we know that this has to do somehow with "|x-2|", because we want to use that fact that |x-2|<[itex]\delta[/itex]|.
    That should make you think about polynomial division. Do you know the technique?
    Then you could have |x3 - 3x-2| = |x-2| * |P(x)| < [itex]\delta[/itex] |P(x)|,
    where P(x) is some polynomial of second order which you might also be able to control. :)
    See if you could take it from there...

8. Sep 9, 2011 #7

lanedance

Homework Helper

in this case it simplifies down to
    |d^3 + 6d^2 + 9d| = |d^2 + 6d+ 9||d| = (d+3)^2|d|<e

though it is the same thing really whether you work with |x-2| or |d|, just preference

9. Sep 9, 2011 #8
    But what is the justification of this substitution? One needs to show that |f(x) - 7| < [itex]\epsilon[/itex]. So why do you try manipulating |f(x+[itex]\delta[/itex]) - 7|?

10. Sep 9, 2011 #9

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Because the whole problem is to find [itex]|\delta[/itex] so that [itex]f(2+ \delta)- 7|< \epsilon[/itex]. It is NOT "to show that [itex]|f(x)- 7|<\epsilon[/itex]" because that, in general, is not true.

11. Sep 9, 2011 #10
    Of course, but wouldn't you then want to show that |[itex]f(2- \delta)- 7|< \epsilon[/itex] as well?
    Looks like a strange approach to me, but if everyone's approving... :-)
    (for the same suitable [itex]\delta[/itex] that is)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook