• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

I'm doing something wrong

[SOLVED] I'm doing something wrong...

1. A red laser with a wavelength of 650 nm and a blue laser with a wavelength of 450 nn emit laser beams with the same light power. How do their rates of photon emission compare? Answer this by computing R[tex]_{red}[/tex] / R[tex]_{blue}[/tex]

2. P = Rhf = dNhf / dt = dE[tex]_{light}[/tex] / dt
R = dN / dt
E[tex]_{light}[/tex] = Nhf, where N is the number of photons
f = c / [tex]\lambda[/tex]
h = 6.624E-32 Js

3. I have the f[tex]_{red}[/tex] = 4.62 x 10[tex]^{14}[/tex] s
and f[tex]_{blue}[/tex] = 6.67 x 10[tex]^{14}[/tex] s , it says their Powers are the same, so I go ahead and went and equaled:

P[tex]_{red}[/tex] to P[tex]_{blue}[/tex], which is:

P[tex]_{red}[/tex]h[tex]_{red}[/tex]f[tex]_{red}[/tex] = P[tex]_{blue}[/tex]h[tex]_{blue}[/tex]f[tex]_{blue}[/tex]

but I am tired and can't see the relevance, because when I multiplied times h [in Js] and then I divide like explained, I get .6925, and the ANSWER is 1.44.

Help? Please?

Answers and Replies

berkeman
Mentor
Since red photons carry less energy per photon, there will need to be more of them. You just got your answer upside-down.

Just use your equation for E = Nhf, and be sure to take the ratio in the correct direction.

Chi Meson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
1. A red laser with a wavelength of 650 nm and a blue laser with a wavelength of 450 nn emit laser beams with the same light power. How do their rates of photon emission compare? Answer this by computing R[tex]_{red}[/tex] / R[tex]_{blue}[/tex]

2. P = Rhf = dNhf / dt = dE[tex]_{light}[/tex] / dt
R = dN / dt
E[tex]_{light}[/tex] = Nhf, where N is the number of photons
f = c / [tex]\lambda[/tex]
h = 6.624E-32 Js

3. I have the f[tex]_{red}[/tex] = 4.62 x 10[tex]^{14}[/tex] s
and f[tex]_{blue}[/tex] = 6.67 x 10[tex]^{14}[/tex] s , it says their Powers are the same, so I go ahead and went and equaled:

P[tex]_{red}[/tex] to P[tex]_{blue}[/tex], which is:

P[tex]_{red}[/tex]h[tex]_{red}[/tex]f[tex]_{red}[/tex] = P[tex]_{blue}[/tex]h[tex]_{blue}[/tex]f[tex]_{blue}[/tex]

but I am tired and can't see the relevance, because when I multiplied times h [in Js] and then I divide like explained, I get .6925, and the ANSWER is 1.44.

Help? Please?
Yes the answer is 1.44.

You got confused because you plugged in your number way too soon. Consider this:

Only the wavelengths are important. Obviously "R" here is used as "N," th number of photons per second? Well, P=P, you got that, and P=(Rhf)/t and f =c/ lamda.

Just substitute, see what cancel out, and use what you are left with.

I double checked the math, looks good.

Ok....that was...really weird, I guess I somehow reversed wavelengths? I simply did the reciprocal and it worked, thanks all!