1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I'm doing something wrong

1. May 8, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] I'm doing something wrong...

1. A red laser with a wavelength of 650 nm and a blue laser with a wavelength of 450 nn emit laser beams with the same light power. How do their rates of photon emission compare? Answer this by computing R[tex]_{red}[/tex] / R[tex]_{blue}[/tex]

2. P = Rhf = dNhf / dt = dE[tex]_{light}[/tex] / dt
    R = dN / dt
    E[tex]_{light}[/tex] = Nhf, where N is the number of photons
    f = c / [tex]\lambda[/tex]
    h = 6.624E-32 Js

3. I have the f[tex]_{red}[/tex] = 4.62 x 10[tex]^{14}[/tex] s
    and f[tex]_{blue}[/tex] = 6.67 x 10[tex]^{14}[/tex] s , it says their Powers are the same, so I go ahead and went and equaled:

P[tex]_{red}[/tex] to P[tex]_{blue}[/tex], which is:

P[tex]_{red}[/tex]h[tex]_{red}[/tex]f[tex]_{red}[/tex] = P[tex]_{blue}[/tex]h[tex]_{blue}[/tex]f[tex]_{blue}[/tex]

but I am tired and can't see the relevance, because when I multiplied times h [in Js] and then I divide like explained, I get .6925, and the ANSWER is 1.44.

Help? Please?

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2008 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Since red photons carry less energy per photon, there will need to be more of them. You just got your answer upside-down.

Just use your equation for E = Nhf, and be sure to take the ratio in the correct direction.

4. May 8, 2008 #3

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes the answer is 1.44.

You got confused because you plugged in your number way too soon. Consider this:

Only the wavelengths are important. Obviously "R" here is used as "N," th number of photons per second? Well, P=P, you got that, and P=(Rhf)/t and f =c/ lamda.

Just substitute, see what cancel out, and use what you are left with.

5. May 8, 2008 #4
    I double checked the math, looks good.

6. May 8, 2008 #5
    Ok....that was...really weird, I guess I somehow reversed wavelengths? I simply did the reciprocal and it worked, thanks all!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?