How Do Red and Blue Laser Photon Emissions Compare at Equal Power?

• Thread starter elephantorz
  • Start date
In summary, when equaling the powers of red and blue lasers, the blue one has 1.44 more photons per second.
elephantorz
[SOLVED] I'm doing something wrong...

1. A red laser with a wavelength of 650 nm and a blue laser with a wavelength of 450 nn emit laser beams with the same light power. How do their rates of photon emission compare? Answer this by computing R[tex]_{red}[/tex] / R[tex]_{blue}[/tex]
2. P = Rhf = dNhf / dt = dE[tex]_{light}[/tex] / dt
R = dN / dt
E[tex]_{light}[/tex] = Nhf, where N is the number of photons
f = c / [tex]\lambda[/tex]
h = 6.624E-32 Js

3. I have the f[tex]_{red}[/tex] = 4.62 x 10[tex]^{14}[/tex] s
and f[tex]_{blue}[/tex] = 6.67 x 10[tex]^{14}[/tex] s , it says their Powers are the same, so I go ahead and went and equaled:

P[tex]_{red}[/tex] to P[tex]_{blue}[/tex], which is:P[tex]_{red}[/tex]h[tex]_{red}[/tex]f[tex]_{red}[/tex] = P[tex]_{blue}[/tex]h[tex]_{blue}[/tex]f[tex]_{blue}[/tex]

but I am tired and can't see the relevance, because when I multiplied times h [in Js] and then I divide like explained, I get .6925, and the ANSWER is 1.44.

Help? Please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Since red photons carry less energy per photon, there will need to be more of them. You just got your answer upside-down.

Just use your equation for E = Nhf, and be sure to take the ratio in the correct direction.

elephantorz said:
1. A red laser with a wavelength of 650 nm and a blue laser with a wavelength of 450 nn emit laser beams with the same light power. How do their rates of photon emission compare? Answer this by computing R[tex]_{red}[/tex] / R[tex]_{blue}[/tex]

2. P = Rhf = dNhf / dt = dE[tex]_{light}[/tex] / dt
R = dN / dt
E[tex]_{light}[/tex] = Nhf, where N is the number of photons
f = c / [tex]\lambda[/tex]
h = 6.624E-32 Js

3. I have the f[tex]_{red}[/tex] = 4.62 x 10[tex]^{14}[/tex] s
and f[tex]_{blue}[/tex] = 6.67 x 10[tex]^{14}[/tex] s , it says their Powers are the same, so I go ahead and went and equaled:

P[tex]_{red}[/tex] to P[tex]_{blue}[/tex], which is:

P[tex]_{red}[/tex]h[tex]_{red}[/tex]f[tex]_{red}[/tex] = P[tex]_{blue}[/tex]h[tex]_{blue}[/tex]f[tex]_{blue}[/tex]

but I am tired and can't see the relevance, because when I multiplied times h [in Js] and then I divide like explained, I get .6925, and the ANSWER is 1.44.

Help? Please?
Yes the answer is 1.44.

You got confused because you plugged in your number way too soon. Consider this:

Only the wavelengths are important. Obviously "R" here is used as "N," th number of photons per second? Well, P=P, you got that, and P=(Rhf)/t and f =c/ lamda.

Just substitute, see what cancel out, and use what you are left with.

I double checked the math, looks good.

Ok...that was...really weird, I guess I somehow reversed wavelengths? I simply did the reciprocal and it worked, thanks all!

What are some common signs that I am doing something wrong in my experiment?

Some common signs include unexpected results, inconsistent data, or failure to replicate previous findings.

How can I determine if I am following proper scientific methods?

Proper scientific methods involve clearly defining a hypothesis, carefully designing and conducting experiments, and accurately recording and analyzing data. If you are unsure, consult with a mentor or refer to established scientific protocols.

What should I do if I realize I have made a mistake in my experiment?

If you realize you have made a mistake, it is important to document and communicate the error and its potential impact on your results. Depending on the severity of the mistake, you may need to repeat the experiment or modify your conclusions.

How can I avoid making mistakes in my experiments?

To avoid mistakes, it is important to carefully plan and design your experiments, double check your procedures, and use reliable equipment and materials. Additionally, regularly reviewing your methods with colleagues or mentors can help identify potential errors.

What should I do if I am unsure about the validity of my results?

If you are unsure about the validity of your results, you can repeat the experiment, gather more data, or consult with other scientists for their input. It is also important to critically evaluate your methods and consider potential sources of error.