I'm getting Tiger!

1. Moonbear

Moonbear 12,265
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Okay you Mac people, who has Tiger already? I finally ordered the upgrade. Any issues I should be prepared for when upgrading? Or any tips on finding cool features that might not be intuitive to set up? What kinds of widgets do you have that you just can't do without, and where do I find them? :biggrin: I can't wait!

2. jcsd
  3. cool!!! I love Tiger. some people reported issues with 10.4.0, 10.4.1 and 10.4.2. I have not had any, but Apple will be releasing 10.4.3 in a few days.

4. Moonbear

Moonbear 12,265
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh, perfect timing then! I should have Tiger in a few days and can then promptly update.

5. JamesU

JamesU 745
    Gold Member

It's the only mac I can't say I don't like. that's because I've never used it. our school still uses OS 9.2 :rolleyes:

6. if you have never used OS X then you cannot even compare it to Classic Mac OS.

I hated Macs before OS X. Now they rock.

7. Moonbear

Moonbear 12,265
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I agree, before OS X, I could take it or leave it. When I worked in a lab with all Macs running OS 8 or 9 (I can't remember which), I brought my PC laptop with me every day. Now it's the opposite, I work in a lab with PCs running Windows XP (oh, how I hate that!) and I bring my Mac laptop in with me every day so I don't have to work on their cruddy windows machine.

8. loseyourname

loseyourname 3,632
    Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Did the pre-Tiger version not have the spotlight search function? If so, that is one hell of a feature.

9. es

es 70

10. JamesU

JamesU 745
    Gold Member

so what's so great in OSX?

11. Moonbear

Moonbear 12,265
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Nope. That's one of the features I'm looking forward to. Glad to hear you like it. I was hoping it wasn't just being over-hyped.

12. Moonbear

Moonbear 12,265
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Here's just the new features in Tiger:
    http://www.apple.com/macosx/newfeatures/over200.html

Mostly it saves me from a lot of bruising, because I don't find myself beating my head against a wall several times a day fighting with it like I do with Windows (I've never used Linux on a PC, so don't know how it would compare to that...there definitely are a lot of Linux fans around here, so I would consider that if I had a PC).

13. JamesU

JamesU 745
    Gold Member

what do you find so difficult about windows

?

14. It's unstable, virus infected and outdated

15. I have never met anyone who has found a use for automator.

The most useful feature in my opinion is dashboard. Spotlight is also useful as is RSS in safari 2.0. You can also highlight words and then right click on them and choose to look them up in the dictionary, which i use sometimes.

16. My system is rock solid.

I don't have any viruses.

I have all of the updates.

How can you say it is unstable? That is totally conditional.

How can Windows be virus infected? It is a computer that gets the virus. They don't come in the retail box.

How is Windows out of date? It has come a long way. I am not arguing it is the best operating system nor that it is not. Windows offers the latest in gaming technology. I don't know how you could argue otherwise. Windows also easily offers the most hardware support. You can't even question that.

17. umm, it is Unix based, it has all the tech of Windows Vista in it right now.

it stays out of your way when you work, unlike windows.

18. nothing is difficult about it, it is just the structure of the system that makes it obnoxious to use.

I find that development on OS X is a lot nicer than windows because the underside is better organized (the directory structure, etc is Unix like which makes it much nicer to work with) than in windows. you get all the GNU tools, LaTeX is super easy to set up and run, everything about it is just much nicer than in windows.

19. umm, Windows Worms are rampant because of how easy it is to exploit it, MS is remidying this, but it is still a big problem

as you should, but that does not protect you from spyware which affects the stability of the system. The fact of the matter is that for most people, Windows becomes infected and messy because most people do not know how to manage a computer. Education is the key, but you cannot educate most of the people because they are past that point in their life or have no interest to go and find someone to teach them.

you like to parse words?

It is out of date because IE has not been updated technology wise in 5 years, the underlying technology is 5 years old or more and there are no added features to the system for 5 years. The service packs have made it more secure, but they have done nothing for advancing the state of windows technology

no one has. but that is kind of a pointless aspect when most people that have a computer use it for something other than gaming. I have not bought or played a game in nearly 8 years. My priorities are adult priorities and I have to get work done.

sure I can. I have come across hardware that does not work under windows but then I plug it into my Linux system and it works right away with out any configuration. Unless you are talking about GFX cards or sound cards, Windows hardware support is actually poorer than Linux. Will Windows run on SPARC? will it run on Dragonball? will it run on PPC? will it run on MIPS?

nope. and if your intention was to say that OS X hardware support is sketchy, it certainly is not. you need to buy GFX cards built to work on OpenFirmware, and sound cards are not available, but everything else is a plug in and play.

20. Moonbear

Moonbear 12,265
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What does that really do? It sounded like it was just an easy way of creating macros for those who don't know how to do that, though the few times I've wanted to do something like that, it never seemed too hard to do in the first place.

Spotlight sounds great. And it sounds like there's a RPN calculator in dashboard. Is that correct? Does that mean it has advanced functions on it, not just addition/subtraction type stuff?

21. Apple script is a pain in the butt, and I am a computer science major. Automator makes it easy peasy.

The calculator that comes with Tiger is not RPN, but I am sure there is one out there, and if not, you can code one using Javascript/perl/pything/what ever languages are supported and CSS

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thead via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?