I'm looking for some direction

• Thread starter crazy_shoes
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Direction
In summary, the conversation revolved around finding a wireless data transfer option that is highly focused, precise, fast, and harmless. Suggestions were made for using low-power IR laser or directional WiFi antennas, with the possibility of using a radio modem. The use of WiFi passwords and security features was also mentioned. The conversation concluded with gratitude for the helpful suggestions and newfound knowledge about radio modems.
crazy_shoes
I'm looking for some sort of wireless data transfer and I need it to be very focused.

I need something similar to a TV remote, very directional, fairly long range. I'd like it to be as precise as possible and as fast as possible. I'd also like it to be as harmless as it can be, since lasers tend to hurt/annoy people.

Could someone tell me what it is that I am looking for? I know how to describe it but I'm not sure exactly what it's called or if it exists.

Thanks! :biggrin:

Engineering news on Phys.org
I would think that a low-power IR laser would be your best bet. It wouldn't annoy anyone because it can't be seen, and it's unlikely to cause any damage unless someone deliberatedly stared straight into the beam for an extended time.

Try a google search on radio modem.

Yeah, the radio modem angle may bear fruit. Also, remember that you can get pretty directional WiFi antennas, so you could just go PC-to-PC WiFi with a couple packaged Yagi antennas with decent directional gain. You use the WiFi password/security features, obviously, to keep your data private.

Wow, you learn something new every day! I'd never heard of radio modems before. This is some good stuff! Thank you all for your input.

What does "I'm looking for some direction" mean?

"I'm looking for some direction" typically means that the person is seeking guidance or advice in a particular area of their life.

Why do people often say "I'm looking for some direction"?

People often say "I'm looking for some direction" when they feel lost or unsure about their next steps, and they are open to suggestions or insights from others.

What are some common areas in which people seek direction?

Some common areas in which people seek direction include career choices, relationships, personal growth, and decision-making.

How can I help someone who says "I'm looking for some direction"?

Listen actively and offer support and encouragement. Ask open-ended questions to help them clarify their thoughts and feelings, and offer your own insights and advice if appropriate.

What are some resources that can provide direction?

Some resources that can provide direction include therapy or counseling, self-help books, mentorship programs, and support groups. It can also be helpful to seek advice from trusted friends or family members.