Induction Heater at 50Hz or 60Hz from Kitchen Wall Outlet.

In summary, if you want to make an induction heater for cooking, you need to understand AC Mains safety rules.
KuriousKid
I'd like to make an Induction Heater design for Cooking purpose, where heat can reach up to 400-500F or so. I read in some other forums, that it's possible. So I'm trying to get more ideas and possibly learn how this can be done safely (in case I make it / if it's really safe).
The Idea is use to 110 V 60 Hz power outlet in my Kitchen. Get a Stainless Steel Plate of 3 mm thickness. Use 12 or 13 gauge copper wire to make a pancake coil as shown in attached image with and supply it with power. To avoid Short circuit, what should I add in this circuit? I want to keep price as minimum as possible. Do I need to add a resistor in series with coil to limit current or something else?

How much efficiency difference would be there in this model and those which runs on very high frequency 20k Hz or more? Will this be slow but consume same amount of energy or anything else?

1673596793529.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
Think about this. You want to feed a flat coil with 120 VAC. What do you think a conventional cooktop uses? And how does that type of cooktop heat?

Thread closed temporarily for Moderation...

Temperature is not heat. Heat is the flow of thermal energy. You need to decide how much heat you need, not just the temperature.

FYI, you can buy an induction cooker that uses 110V power, and can sear a steak with it (so, surface temperature 400+). I have one.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08YJ6ZPFJ/?tag=pfamazon01-20

KuriousKid said:
The Idea is use to 110 V 60 Hz power outlet in my Kitchen.
Based on your other posts here at PF over the years, I don't think you have the experience and background to do this with just help from anonymous people on the Internet.

Please find a local Mentor that you can use to help you learn how to do this kind of project safely. At a minimum you need to understand the AC Mains safety rules that are checked by UL when you submit your new device to them for testing. Connecting to the AC Mains requires that a number of things be done correctly, because missing any one of those can result in a shock or fire hazard. Even if this project is a 1-off for personal use, you should always still follow the UL rules for product safety when designing and building your AC Mains project.

This thread will remain closed.

Last edited:
Likes Averagesupernova, anorlunda and russ_watters

1. What is an induction heater and how does it work?

An induction heater is a device that uses electromagnetic induction to generate heat in a conductive material. It works by creating a high-frequency electromagnetic field, which induces eddy currents in the material, causing it to heat up.

2. What is the difference between 50Hz and 60Hz induction heaters?

The main difference between 50Hz and 60Hz induction heaters is the frequency of the electromagnetic field they produce. 50Hz heaters use a frequency of 50 cycles per second, while 60Hz heaters use a frequency of 60 cycles per second. This difference can affect the efficiency and heating speed of the induction heater.

3. Can I use a 50Hz induction heater with a 60Hz power source?

It is not recommended to use a 50Hz induction heater with a 60Hz power source. The difference in frequency can cause the heater to overheat and potentially damage the equipment. It is important to match the frequency of the heater with the frequency of the power source.

4. Is it safe to use an induction heater from a kitchen wall outlet?

As long as the induction heater is properly rated for the voltage and frequency of the kitchen wall outlet, it is generally safe to use. However, it is important to follow all safety precautions and instructions provided by the manufacturer to avoid any potential hazards.

5. What are the common uses for an induction heater from a kitchen wall outlet?

Induction heaters from kitchen wall outlets are commonly used for cooking and heating food, as well as in industrial applications for melting, welding, and heat treating metal materials. They can also be used for heating liquids and other materials in laboratory settings.