Directional wireless broadband antenna

In summary, Patrick is looking for ways to improve the signal strength of his Clear wireless broadband box located at the place he is renting a room. He is considering converting an old satellite TV receiver dish to be a transmitter/receiver unit, and is researching frequencies and plug types for his region.
Flyboy
I have a Clear wireless broadband box at the place I'm renting a room at, but I'm at the outer edge of the tower's range. I want to boost the signal strength using a directional antenna.

There are a number of old DISH and DirecTV satellite receivers floating about, and I can get one for free. Is it possible to convert it to being a transmitter/receiver unit? I know I'll need to remove the old satellite receiver unit at the end of the arm; I just need to know what to replace it with, and if I'd need an amplifier for the outbound signal.

I'm about 2/3 to 3/4 of a mile away from the antenna, and there are trees and houses in the direct path of the signal.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Patrick

Engineering news on Phys.org
Flyboy said:
I have a Clear wireless broadband box at the place I'm renting a room at, but I'm at the outer edge of the tower's range. I want to boost the signal strength using a directional antenna.

There are a number of old DISH and DirecTV satellite receivers floating about, and I can get one for free. Is it possible to convert it to being a transmitter/receiver unit? I know I'll need to remove the old satellite receiver unit at the end of the arm; I just need to know what to replace it with, and if I'd need an amplifier for the outbound signal.

I'm about 2/3 to 3/4 of a mile away from the antenna, and there are trees and houses in the direct path of the signal.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Patrick

What are the frequencies involved? Use Google or some other means to figure that out. I think you'll find that they are different.

So then look at Yagi antennas for the WiFi directional antenna that you would like to use. Actually, your wireless provider should have some directional router options available if you ask about them...

This sounds like Wireless Broadband where there is no connection made to the telephone line and a direct radio link is made to an external ISP via radio.

In my country, this is done on about 900 MHz and about 1900 MHz.

This is not the same as WiFi which is lower powered and limited to 100 ft or so.

There are antennas on eBay that do this
Eg 141039807319
But you should enquire locally as standards for frequencies and even plug types vary for different regions.

Thanks for the info. Now, the question is, could I use an old satellite TV receiver dish with a modified antenna to improve the range of the signal?

Flyboy said:
Thanks for the info. Now, the question is, could I use an old satellite TV receiver dish with a modified antenna to improve the range of the signal?

you could but at the distance from the tower that you stated, it would be a impractical
plus for the usual size of a house mounted satellite dish ( the oval ones 0.6 x 0.9 metre) its not going to have much gain at 1900 MHz a yagi of ~ 10 elements will be more efficient and smaller meaning it will be less of an eyesore ( less than 0.5 metre long)

Dave

Flyboy said:
Patrick, you might like to spend a few hours perusing a very long thread here: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=2082278

Of especial interest would be the right hand link on the line that reads:
Relevant Wiki Entries: /wiki/homemade_yagi | /wiki/nextg_3g_satellite_dish_antenna

The article shows how to build a small antenna and place it at the focus of the old dish.

Beyond this, I can't help.

Good luck with your project.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes 1 person

What is a directional wireless broadband antenna?

A directional wireless broadband antenna is a type of antenna that is designed to transmit and receive signals in a specific direction. This allows for a more focused and efficient transmission of data over a wireless network.

How does a directional wireless broadband antenna work?

A directional wireless broadband antenna works by using the principle of beamforming to focus the transmitted signal in a specific direction. This is achieved by using multiple elements within the antenna to create a narrower and more precise beam of radio waves.

What are the benefits of using a directional wireless broadband antenna?

There are several benefits of using a directional wireless broadband antenna, including improved signal strength, increased range, and reduced interference. This type of antenna is also more efficient, as it only transmits in the desired direction, rather than in all directions.

What are some common applications of directional wireless broadband antennas?

Directional wireless broadband antennas are commonly used in wireless networks, such as WiFi and cellular networks, to improve signal strength and range. They are also used in point-to-point communication systems, such as satellite links and long-distance wireless links.

How do I choose the right directional wireless broadband antenna for my needs?

When choosing a directional wireless broadband antenna, you should consider the frequency range, gain, beamwidth, and polarization of the antenna. It is also important to understand the specific needs and requirements of your network or communication system to select the most suitable antenna.