I'm looking for something to eat....

• Medical
  • Thread starter Praestrigiator
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of endothermic foods and whether they exist. The speaker advises against believing in miracle foods and suggests increasing physical activity instead of trying to find a food that uses more calories to process than it provides. They also caution against consuming less than 600 kCal of food daily without medical supervision. The conversation ends with a suggestion to seek guidance from a health professional for increasing activity levels.
Praestrigiator
I'm interested, is there anything that I can eat that would be endothermic when digested? Preferably that also wouldn't kill me were I to eat it.

Biology news on Phys.org
Some crushed ice?

IMO, this is an old wives tale - in other words largely not close to factual. Foods are defined as a source of nutrition. Non-nutritive "food" makes very little sense. You are asking: is there some food I can eat that uses more calories to process (digest) than the food provides. Short answer: no.
Water, crushed ice does what you want - provides no energy. And DO NOT believe the garbage out there on the internet - miracle foods and super foods do not exist. Really.

Eating less than 600 kCal of food daily, except under medical supervision, is a great way to get in serious medical trouble. Ask your physician for guidance, we do not provide that here.

A better answer - increase your level of activity. By a large factor. Burn more calories than you consume. How do you do that - ask a health professional, not us.

Likes Evo
jim mcnamara said:
IMO, this is an old wives tale - in other words largely not close to factual. Foods are defined as a source of nutrition. Non-nutritive "food" makes very little sense. You are asking: is there some food I can eat that uses more calories to process (digest) than the food provides. Short answer: no.
Water, crushed ice does what you want - provides no energy. And DO NOT believe the garbage out there on the internet - miracle foods and super foods do not exist. Really.

Eating less than 600 kCal of food daily, except under medical supervision, is a great way to get in serious medical trouble. Ask your physician for guidance, we do not provide that here.

A better answer - increase your level of activity. By a large factor. Burn more calories than you consume. How do you do that - ask a health professional, not us.
Thank you Jim, thread closed.

1. What are some healthy options for a quick meal?

Some healthy options for a quick meal include salads, wraps, smoothies, and grilled chicken or fish. These options are typically lower in calories and packed with nutrients.

2. What are some good options for a vegetarian meal?

Vegetarian options include dishes such as veggie stir-fry, lentil soup, vegetable curry, or roasted vegetables. These meals are rich in plant-based protein and fiber.

3. How can I make a meal that is both filling and nutritious?

To make a filling and nutritious meal, try incorporating a balance of protein, healthy fats, and complex carbohydrates. For example, a quinoa and vegetable stir-fry with grilled chicken or tofu and avocado makes for a well-rounded meal.

4. What are some healthy alternatives to fast food?

Instead of fast food, you can try meal prepping at home, making sandwiches or wraps with lean protein and veggies, or opting for a salad with grilled chicken or fish. These options are healthier and can be made quickly at home.

5. How can I ensure that I am getting enough nutrients in my meals?

To ensure you are getting enough nutrients in your meals, aim for a variety of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean proteins, and healthy fats. Eating a variety of foods will help you get a range of nutrients and keep your meals balanced.