Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical I'm looking for something to eat...

1. Apr 18, 2016 #1
    I'm interested, is there anything that I can eat that would be endothermic when digested? Preferably that also wouldn't kill me were I to eat it.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2016 #2
    Some crushed ice?

4. Apr 18, 2016 #3

jim mcnamara

Staff: Mentor

IMO, this is an old wives tale - in other words largely not close to factual. Foods are defined as a source of nutrition. Non-nutritive "food" makes very little sense. You are asking: is there some food I can eat that uses more calories to process (digest) than the food provides. Short answer: no.
    Water, crushed ice does what you want - provides no energy. And DO NOT believe the garbage out there on the internet - miracle foods and super foods do not exist. Really.

Eating less than 600 kCal of food daily, except under medical supervision, is a great way to get in serious medical trouble. Ask your physician for guidance, we do not provide that here.

A better answer - increase your level of activity. By a large factor. Burn more calories than you consume. How do you do that - ask a health professional, not us.

5. Apr 18, 2016 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Thank you Jim, thread closed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook