I'm trying to come up with a good Ramsey Theory question (details)

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter jdinatale
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Theory
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
jdinatale
Messages
153
Reaction score
0
I have this really cool idea of asking Ramsey Theory questions on tilings (tessellations).

Classical Ramsey theory asks what is the minimum number of people one needs to invite to a party in order to have that every person knows m mutual friends or n mutual strangers.

I was thinking about coloring a tiling red and blue and asking similar questions, but I'm not sure what would be interesting. I have thought about this for a couple of weeks.

Basically, Ramsey Theory is simply asking "how many elements of some structure must there be to guarantee that a particular property will hold?"

I'm just not sure how to come up with an interesting question!
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
What - like "what is the minimum number of colors of tile needed so you can cover a surface so that no two adjacent tiles share the same color?" But something that requires students to exploit tesselation ideas?

OR: "How many trainee chefs in a kitchen before Ramsey is guaranteed to throw a wobbler?"
... ah... wrong Ramsey...
 
The most elmentary questions are whether there is some way to represent graphs as tilings and vice-versa.

It seems clear than any colored tiling could be represented as a colored graph by using an edge connection between two nodes to represent two tiles sharing a common side. That representation would not capture the property of two tiles only sharing a common vertex. Is there a graph that also represents that property?

And given a colored graph, can it be represented as a tiling? I suppose that requires a rigorous definition of what a tiling is.
 
The question I had, which didn't work, is this: Given positive integers m and n, does there exist a tiling such that for ANY two-coloring of the tiling, every tile has m friends OR n strangers. (In this case two tiles are friends if they are adjacent and share a color and strangers if they are adjacent and do not share a color)

But it doesn't work because even starting with the extremely basic equilateral triangle tiling, and low numbers such as m = 2, and n = 3, we always find counterexamples.

Simon Bridge said:
What - like "what is the minimum number of colors of tile needed so you can cover a surface so that no two adjacent tiles share the same color?" But something that requires students to exploit tesselation ideas?

OR: "How many trainee chefs in a kitchen before Ramsey is guaranteed to throw a wobbler?"
... ah... wrong Ramsey...

I'm pretty sure the answer to the first question is four via the four color map theorem, no?

Stephen Tashi said:
The most elmentary questions are whether there is some way to represent graphs as tilings and vice-versa.

It seems clear than any colored tiling could be represented as a colored graph by using an edge connection between two nodes to represent two tiles sharing a common side. That representation would not capture the property of two tiles only sharing a common vertex. Is there a graph that also represents that property?

And given a colored graph, can it be represented as a tiling? I suppose that requires a rigorous definition of what a tiling is.

The answer to the second question I'm guessing is no because what if you had a colored, say K_6. I don't think it would be possible to have all 6 tiles adjacent to every other tile at once. I will think about it.