I'm working on a design for an electric bike

In summary: -looking for a program that can simulate a working electric bike-want a program that is cheap or free-want a program that is upscaleable
happy_hipster
I'm working on a design for an electric bike. I need a free sim I can download to develop it: test it, see it work and compare varations. God bless and thank you in advance,

-Hip

PS, I looked for a "search the forums" feature, but was unable to locate it, it needs to be more prominant if it exists.

Engineering news on Phys.org

happy_hipster said:
I'm working on a design for an electric bike. I need a free sim I can download to develop it: test it, see it work and compare varations. God bless and thank you in advance,

-Hip

PS, I looked for a "search the forums" feature, but was unable to locate it, it needs to be more prominant if it exists.

Welcome to the PF. Yeah, the Search feature is not real prominent, but it's near the upper right of the display, 3rd selection from the right on that top line of selections.

On your question -- are you wanting to simulate the electric/electronic part (like with SPICE), or are you looking to do a mechanical simulation with some FEA package?

Id just like to build a simple version of one tire, and then alter it to see the outputs on the variants. Hope this helps. I'm new to this.

-hip

happy_hipster said:
Id just like to build a simple version of one tire, and then alter it to see the outputs on the variants. Hope this helps. I'm new to this.

-hip

Sorry, I'm still not tracking. Are you talking about mechanically simulating something about the tire/wheel? What variants?

Position, size of magnets, electromagnets, speeds, voltage inputs

As far as mechanically simulating, I need it to spin, the electricity to flow, the magnets to push and pull the spin...

This idea may help you have a electric dirtbike...

There should be a resource for this somewhere...

happy_hipster said:
There should be a resource for this somewhere...

There are many simulation packages. SPICE for electrical simulations, and COMSOL, ANSYS, etc., for FEA simulation.

http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=178848&page=26

What simulation packages have you looked at? What did you like and dislike about them?

What I had was a cad cam program. It wasn't upscaleable enough, had no electronics or motion, and generally wasn't what I was looking for.

What I am looking for would make it possible to represent a working, moving bicycle, add electroinic componants, designate permanant magnet strengths, and then give me outputs of flux and voltage when set in motion.

It would also help if it was cheap or free.

Related to I'm working on a design for an electric bike

What is an electric bike?

An electric bike, also known as an e-bike, is a bicycle that is powered by an electric motor. This motor provides assistance to the rider, making it easier to pedal and allowing for longer distances to be covered.

How does an electric bike work?

An electric bike works by using a rechargeable battery to power an electric motor. When the rider pedals, sensors detect the movement and activate the motor to provide assistance. The rider can control the level of assistance with a control panel or throttle.

What are the benefits of using an electric bike?

There are several benefits of using an electric bike. They can make commuting easier and faster, reduce the amount of physical exertion required, and allow for longer rides without getting tired. They are also more environmentally friendly than gas-powered vehicles.

How fast can an electric bike go?

The speed of an electric bike depends on the motor and the local laws. In the United States, the maximum speed for an electric bike is typically 20 mph. However, some models can go up to 28 mph.

What factors should be considered when designing an electric bike?

When designing an electric bike, several factors should be considered, such as the size and weight of the battery, the power and efficiency of the motor, the type of terrain the bike will be used on, and the desired speed and range. It is also important to consider safety features and regulations for electric bikes in the intended location.