Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I'm writing a novel involving worm holes and asteroids/meteors

1. Oct 13, 2011 #1
    Please Help! I'm writing a novel involving worm holes and asteroids/meteors

I thought it would be best to ask the experts in the field to make sure I don't get lynched when this book comes out.
    Please help however you can. The date during this particular incident is Feb 14, 2016, 11:47 pm western time, the point of observation is Vancouver, B.C, Canada. A wormhole opens up exactly 270,000km away from earth making the first quarter moon appear to have a hole in it. From this wormhole thousands of asteroids/meteors , varied in size from 1 square meter to 250 square meters, barrel towards earth in varied speeds from 17km per second to 30km per second. The astral objects are comprised of a heavy (Fictional) titanium and diamond composite alloy. Please give me theories/estimates on where the damage/impact area might be as well as how long it may take these objects to pummel earth. I think its 2-3hrs from wormhole to earth (impact/travel time).

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2011 #2

Ryan_m_b

Staff: Mentor

Re: Please Help! I'm writing a novel involving worm holes and asteroids/meteors

Well presuming that they are travelling straight for Earth the lowest speed will arrive in 15882.35 seconds (4 hours ~25 minutes) and the fastest will arrive in 9000 seconds (2 and a half hours). I can't tell you where they will land but if you google "moon position calculator" there are plenty of sites that might be able to tell you.

As for the damage I take it that you meant cubic rather than square metres? If so we can take an average volume of 125.5m3, an average speed of 23.5kmps and a mass of (assuming a 1:1 mix of http://www.google.com/search?q=titanium+density" for nearly ten seconds).

Working out the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TNT_equivalent" [Broken] and simply chose an area of the world you are familiar with then select a demo nuclear bomb as close to that figure and see the devastation it would cause. Interestingly you also have an option of choosing an asteroid strike equivalent to that which killed the dinosaurs.

* Titanium density ~4507kg/m3
    ** Diamond density ~3500kg/m3

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  4. Oct 13, 2011 #3

Wow that's extremely helpful and informative, thanks for the corrections and info.

5. Oct 14, 2011 #4

According to http://www.largeformatphotography.info/sunmooncalc/ this is half an hour before moonset in Vancouver.

It would be at least 2 hours and 26 minutes until first impact and 4 hours and 20 minutes for the last one (assuming that all objects left the wormhole at the same time).

If I calculated correctly the potential impact area would reach from about 114°E to 93°W and include almost all latitudes. That means South America, Africa and Europe as well as the east coast of North America and the western part of Asia could be razed. The western parts of USA and Canada as well as East Asia and Australia would be spared by the primary effects of the impacts but there would be severals tsunamis in Atlantic and Indian Ocean, a lot of radioactivity from destroyed nuclear facilities and maybe an impact winter.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook