1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Image and kernel of iterated linear transformation intersect trivially

1. Jul 15, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given a linear transformation f:V -> V on a finite-dimensional vector space V, show that there is a postive integer m such that im(f^m) and ker(f^m) intersect trivially.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Observe that the image and kernel of a linear transformation f:V -> V are each subspaces of V.
    The kernels of the successive iterations of the transformation form an increasing chain of subspaces.
    The images of the successive iterations of the transformation form a decreasing chain of subspaces.
    Since V is finite-dimensional, the chains of the kernels and images must eventually stabilize, say at m1 and m2 respectively. Let m be max{m1,m2}. So the kernel and image of the transformation are stable after m iterations.
    Now let v be some element contained in both the image and the kernel of f^m.
    This means that some element w in V with f^m(w) = v, and that f^m(v) = 0.

I need to obtain a contradiction, but I have been unsuccessful so far.

Thanks for your help.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If the image is stabilized then f^m is a 1-1 map of Im(f^m)->Im(f^m). f^m(f^m(w))=f^m(v)=0. Seems like there is a contradiction there to me if you assume v is nonzero. What is it?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
  4. Jul 18, 2012 #3
    Thank you, Dick. I am kind of dumb, so it took me a while to see what you meant.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook