1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof regarding the image and kernel of a normal operator

1. Jun 28, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that if T is normal, then T and T* have the same kernel and the same image.

2. Relevant equations
    N/A

3. The attempt at a solution
    At first I tried proving that Ker T ⊆ Ker T* and Ker T* ⊆ Ker, thus proving Ker T = Ker T* and doing the same thing with Im T, but could not find a way of doing so. I am relatively certain this has to do with discomposing T into direct sum subspace or doing something with the orthonormal basis of V comprised of eigenvalues of T but I cannot seem to figure it out.
    I would love some assistance on the matter.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 28, 2017 #2

StoneTemplePython

Gold Member

You understand that ##T## is unitarily diagonalizable here, right? You really can't ask for much more as the mutually orthonormal eigenvectors form a partition (and indeed are a proper, length preserving, coordinate system).

##T = U D U^*##

##T^* = \big(U D U^*\big)^* = U D^* U^*##

with respect to the the right nullspace, how would you identify it in ##T##, above? What would it look like in ##T^*##? If you are so interested, what would the left nullspace look like for both of them?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted