Imaging mathematics fundamentals

In summary, the conversation discusses difficulty understanding certain parts of two files related to linear stochastic inverse problem theory. The method of least squares is mentioned in equation 47 of "image 1" and the origin of equation 52 and subsequent equation 53 in "image 2" is unclear. The speaker is seeking someone with knowledge or experience in this field to discuss these pages with. A recommended MIT video lecture and book by Tarantola are also mentioned as helpful resources.
electronic engineer
Hello. I can't understand some things in these two files attached with this thread.
Firstly,in file "image 1",i don't know about the method of least sequares mentioned in equation 47.

Secondly, in file "image 2",from where the equation 52 comes and how do we get the next equation 53.

I want to discuss about these two pages if there's anyone already knows about this field or has special experience with it.

thanks.

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 410
  • image%202.jpg
    image%202.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 337
Mathematics news on Phys.org
This is linear stochastic inverse problem theory. Here is a great MIT graduate video lecture that explains it pretty well (lecture 4). The geometric perspective he explains at around 17 mins in really helped my intuition about it.
http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Mathematics/18-085Fall-2007/VideoLectures/index.htm

If you want to really understand inverse problem theory, I recommend you Tarantola's book (you can download the pdf from the authors site):
http://www.ipgp.jussieu.fr/~tarantola/Files/Professional/Books/index.html

"Liebelt, P. B., 1967, An introduction to optimal estimation" is also alright (this one is much more of an engineering perspective)

Last edited by a moderator:
This is really amazing. Thanks.

1. What is imaging mathematics fundamentals?

Imaging mathematics fundamentals is a branch of mathematics that focuses on the principles and techniques used in digital image processing and analysis. It involves the use of mathematical concepts and algorithms to enhance, analyze, and interpret images.

2. Why is imaging mathematics important?

Imaging mathematics is important because it allows us to extract valuable information from images that cannot be seen with the naked eye. It also plays a crucial role in various fields such as medicine, remote sensing, and computer vision.

3. What are some common techniques used in imaging mathematics?

Some common techniques used in imaging mathematics include image filtering, edge detection, image segmentation, and image transformation. These techniques help to improve the quality, clarity, and understanding of images.

4. How does imaging mathematics relate to other branches of mathematics?

Imaging mathematics is closely related to other branches of mathematics such as linear algebra, calculus, and statistics. These branches provide the foundation for understanding and developing algorithms used in image processing and analysis.

5. What are the real-world applications of imaging mathematics?

Imaging mathematics has numerous real-world applications, including medical imaging (such as MRI and CT scans), satellite imaging, facial recognition, and image restoration. It is also used in industrial applications such as quality control and defect detection.