How Can You Calculate the Impact Force of a Free-Falling Object?

In summary, the person is wondering how to calculate the impact force of an object in a free fall onto a perfectly inelastic floor. They know the mass, height, speed, and time of the fall, and can calculate the kinetic energy at impact, but they do not know the dwell time (contact time between the object and floor). Therefore, they cannot use the formula F = delta p * delta t to calculate the impact force. The expert explains that the dwell time is crucial in determining the force of impact, and in the case of an elastic collision with a rigid floor, the time spent in contact is almost zero, resulting in an infinite average force. They clarify that "elastic" in physics jargon refers to collisions where kinetic energy
leden
I wonder how could I calculate impact force of an object (eg. a stone) in a free fall impacting on the perfectly inelastic (perfectly hard) floor.
I know:
- m -mass of the falling object
- h -height of the fall
- v -speed at the time of impact
- t -time it takes from highest point to the lowest
- I can also calculate kinetic energy of an object at the impact point
I DO NOT know dwell time (how long the object and the floor are in contact).
So I cannot calculate the impact force with F = \delta p * \delta t.

How can I calculate the impact force?

Physics news on Phys.org
leden said:
I DO NOT know dwell time (how long the object and the floor are in contact). So I cannot calculate the impact force with F = \delta p * \delta t.
You have answered your own question with this statement. You cannot determine the force, or even the average force, of the impact without knowing how long they are in contact. All you can figure out is the impulse delta p. In your example of a stone falling on a perfectly hard (rigid) floor, the stone isn't going to deform elastically, so it must bounce or shatter. In this case, the time spent in contact is nearly zero. Since the impulse is certainly not zero, the average force is practically infinite. So for elastic "billiard ball" type collisions, it is not meaningful to talk about force of impact--momentum/energy transfer is the best you can do.

edit: I should clear up a likely source of confusion. Even though one normally thinks of "elastic" as being stretchy or rubbery, that is not what it means in physics jargon. An elastic collision means that there as just as much kinetic energy after the collision as there was before. This can (and often does) apply to objects that are perfectly hard. An example of an inelastic collision is a lump of clay smashing into another lump of clay and sticking to it. Momentum is conserved, but kinetic energy is not. Some of it was used up in changing the shape of the lumps.

Last edited:

To calculate the impact force of an object in free fall, you can use the equation F = ma, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2). In this case, the acceleration will be negative since the object is slowing down as it falls towards the ground.

To determine the acceleration, you can use the equation v = u + at, where v is the final velocity (which is 0 at the point of impact), u is the initial velocity (which is equivalent to the velocity at the highest point of the fall), and t is the time it takes for the object to reach the ground.

From there, you can rearrange the equation to solve for a, which will give you the acceleration due to gravity. Once you have the acceleration, you can use the F = ma equation to calculate the impact force of the object on the floor.

However, it is important to note that this calculation will only give you an estimate of the impact force, as it does not take into account the potential energy of the object at the highest point of the fall or the energy lost during impact due to factors such as deformation of the object or the floor. To get a more accurate calculation, you would need to know the dwell time (the time the object and the floor are in contact) and use the equation F = \delta p * \delta t, where \delta p is the change in momentum and \delta t is the dwell time.

In summary, to calculate the impact force of an object in free fall, you can use the equations F = ma and v = u + at, but keep in mind that these will only give you an estimate and a more accurate calculation would require knowledge of the dwell time.

Related to How Can You Calculate the Impact Force of a Free-Falling Object?

1. What is impact force?

Impact force is the force that is exerted on an object when it collides with another object or surface. It is the force that causes a change in the object's velocity.

2. How is impact force calculated?

Impact force can be calculated by multiplying the mass of the object by its velocity at impact. The formula for impact force is F = m * v, where F is the impact force, m is the mass of the object, and v is the velocity at impact.

3. What factors affect impact force?

There are several factors that can affect impact force, including the mass and velocity of the object, the angle of impact, and the stiffness of the objects involved in the collision.

4. How can impact force be reduced?

Impact force can be reduced by increasing the duration of the collision, as this will decrease the rate at which the force is applied. This can be achieved by adding padding or cushioning to the objects involved in the collision, or by increasing the distance over which the force is applied.

5. Why is understanding impact force important?

Understanding impact force is important in a variety of fields, such as engineering, sports, and safety. It can help in designing structures and equipment to withstand impacts, predicting the effects of collisions in sports, and developing safety measures to reduce the risk of injuries from impacts.