Skin effect and electric shock question

In summary, the conversation discusses skin depth and the effects of current on a thick wire at a given frequency. The question is raised about the possibility of getting an electric shock by touching the center of the wire, which according to the skin effect has almost no current. The conversation also touches upon the danger of publicly discussing touching live wires at high voltage. The thread is then closed.
girts
recently i saw a thread where skin depth was mentioned (I guess in one of my own threads) and then it got me thinking, well imagine we have a rather thick wire thick enough so that for a given frequency there is almost no current running in the middle of the wire due to skin effect.
let's take an example of say a wire of 30mm in diameter and AC of some 400+Hz or likewise, now the physics calculates that as we approach the middle the current density decreases until it becomes little to none, my question is this,

if the wire carries some 230V AC, normally by touching such voltage I would get an electric shock (the severity of course depends on the specific circumstances) but what happens if I would only touch the very middle, the center of that wire, would i still get shocked?
Because according to the skin effect there is almost no current in the center.?

Physics news on Phys.org
girts said:
Because according to the skin effect there is almost no current in the center.?
If you expose the core you stop it being the core, because EM can get there.
How could you touch the centre of a conductor without pushing through the surface?

Likes olgerm and davenn
Any thread publicly discussing touching live wires at high voltage is far too dangerous. Our guidelines forbid it.

Thread closed.

1. What is skin effect and how does it relate to electric shock?

Skin effect is a phenomenon where alternating current tends to flow near the surface of a conductor, rather than evenly throughout its cross-section. This can increase the resistance of the conductor, which can lead to a higher chance of electric shock if someone comes in contact with it.

2. How does the thickness of the conductor affect skin effect?

The thinner the conductor, the greater the skin effect. This is because the alternating current has a shorter distance to travel through the conductor, causing it to concentrate near the surface.

3. Does alternating current or direct current have a greater skin effect?

Alternating current has a greater skin effect than direct current. This is because the direction of current is constantly changing in AC, causing it to spread out and concentrate near the surface of the conductor.

4. Can skin effect be dangerous for humans?

Yes, skin effect can be dangerous for humans. If someone comes in contact with a conductor experiencing skin effect, they may experience a higher voltage and a greater chance of electric shock than they would with a conductor not experiencing skin effect.

5. How can skin effect be reduced or prevented?

Skin effect can be reduced or prevented by using a thicker conductor or by using a different material with a lower resistance. In addition, using direct current instead of alternating current can also reduce skin effect.