Impeach Bush/Cheney: Take Action Now!

• News
  • Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
In summary, the evidence seems to point to corruption and malfeasance on the part of many people in positions of power. We need to put a stop to it and force these individuals out of office.
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
After reading several threads, the only recourse left is to force these individuals out of office and put a stop to the corruption.

Write your Congressperson and Senator.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=797407&postcount=283

Humvees in Kuwait, not in Iraq - https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=95969

Valeria Plame - https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=83110

This list could go on and on, and enough is enough.

And add Rumsfeld and DeLay to that. Make sure they don't come back!

Physics news on Phys.org
What should the charges be?

Begin with misleading Congress about the reasons for war. Bush had it on his mind to wage war in Iraq - before he was president. How about malfeasance - misconduct - in office?

As for Cheney, let's see what falls out of the Plame affair.

...TITLE 18 > PART I > CHAPTER 113C > § 2340A
§ 2340A. Torture
Release date: 2005-08-03
(a) Offense.— Whoever outside the United States commits or attempts to commit torture shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 20 years, or both, and if death results to any person from conduct prohibited by this subsection, shall be punished by death or imprisoned for any term of years or for life.
(b) Jurisdiction.— There is jurisdiction over the activity prohibited in subsection (a) if—
(1) the alleged offender is a national of the United States; or
(2) the alleged offender is present in the United States, irrespective of the nationality of the victim or alleged offender.
(c) Conspiracy.— A person who conspires to commit an offense under this section shall be subject to the same penalties (other than the penalty of death) as the penalties prescribed for the offense, the commission of which was the object of the conspiracy
http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode18/usc_sup_01_18_10_I_20_113C.html

You might also add corruption charges on Bush.
It shouldn't be too difficult to prove those.

Astronuc said:
Begin with misleading Congress about the reasons for war. Bush had it on his mind to wage war in Iraq - before he was president. How about malfeasance - misconduct - in office?

Apparently the aluminum tubes have come up a number of times as well during questioning .

With a quick google, I was surprised at how many sites there were on the topic. The first page:

1) For Failing to Act on 9-11 Warnings

2) Dereliction Of Duty (most specifically Katrina)

3) High Crimes and Misdemeanors - Most notably:

President Bush's unprovoked invasion of Iraq was a "war of aggression" in direct violation of the United Nations Charter to which the U.S. subscribes by treaty, thus violating U.S. law. (1)

President Bush violated U.S. law and the U.S. Constitution in July 2002 by taking $700 million from funds Congress appropriated for the war in Afghanistan, and secretly diverting this money to prepare for an unauthorized war in Iraq. This included the illegal bombing of Iraq, which was meant to provoke a counter-attack and thereby justify a U.S. invasion.
This site is sponsored by various journalists and activists who have a petition people can sign requesting impeachment of President Bush and Vice President Cheney.

http://elandslide.org/elandslide/petition.cfm?campaign=impeach&refer=home

4) Treason (regarding the Plame case)

The Blood For Oil Artwork for Anti-War/Empire was interesting...

Last edited by a moderator:
The scandal sheet

The scandal sheet
Print it out, send it to Harry Reid, or just read it and weep. Here are 34 scandals from the first four years of George W. Bush's presidency

You may need to watch a short advertisement before accessing Salon.

http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2005/01/18/scandal/index.html

Clerverly leading the American people to believe that there was a connection between 9/11 and Iraq was the most immoral action that a president has ever comitted. "Grave and gathering danger my arse"

No matter how clever the indoctrination of the American people was, it was not legal. To accomplish it Bush commited; fraud, corruption, and conspiracy.

Without "big money ties" Bush would have been gone after his first term on anyone of a number of charges.

SOS2008 said:
With a quick google, I was surprised at how many sites there were on the topic. The first page:
1) For Failing to Act on 9-11 Warnings
2) Dereliction Of Duty (most specifically Katrina)
3) High Crimes and Misdemeanors - Most notably:
This site is sponsored by various journalists and activists who have a petition people can sign requesting impeachment of President Bush and Vice President Cheney.
http://elandslide.org/elandslide/petition.cfm?campaign=impeach&refer=home
4) Treason (regarding the Plame case)
The Blood For Oil Artwork for Anti-War/Empire was interesting...

I have gut feeling that anyone who signs this will end up on an FBI watch list.:mad: I signed on anyway.:smile:

Just one point- for the derliction of duty-

Katrina can not be laid at Bush's feet for one specific reason.

Mainly, legally, his hands were tied. Bush was not allowed, by law, to give any support to lousiana until they asked for it. Once they asked for it, the federal government responded in a relativly timely manner. (Though reponse was not the most rapid, considering the circumstances, it actually wasn't that bad"

2. I have yet to see a deceantly proved accustation yet from these posts
3. SOS2008- You can not legally impeach over misdeamenors.

Cosmo16 said:
Just one point- for the derliction of duty-
Katrina can not be laid at Bush's feet for one specific reason.
Mainly, legally, his hands were tied. Bush was not allowed, by law, to give any support to lousiana until they asked for it. Once they asked for it, the federal government responded in a relativly timely manner. (Though reponse was not the most rapid, considering the circumstances, it actually wasn't that bad"
2. I have yet to see a deceantly proved accustation yet from these posts
3. SOS2008- You can not legally impeach over misdeamenors.
Please note--these were findings from various websites via a quick google just to provide an example of thoughts out there among the populace--not anything I came up with myself. There is evidence that pre-emptive invasion is illegal (already debated extensively).

If you can find it, I started a thread some time back about Bush and how trustworthy and honest he is (or should I say isn't). It was a lot of documentation. I'm certain you could find one thing if you were to be trustworthy and honest about it. :wink:

I think the topic is totally moot. You can argue all kinds of legal and alleged legal issues but we learned from the last administration that impeachment is a purely political undertaking.

How do you plan to get the votes from a Republican Congress?

sean1234 said:
How do you plan to get the votes from a Republican Congress?

In a year + it won't be Republican anymore.

Tide said:
I think the topic is totally moot. You can argue all kinds of legal and alleged legal issues but we learned from the last administration that impeachment is a purely political undertaking.

Nonsense. Nixon was taken down by the mere threat of impeachment and it can be done again. As was evident all along, Clinton's impeachment was political assasination and nothing more, but as with Watergate, this is a matter of a genuine criminal acts of vast proportions by comparison.

Last edited:
In charges for impeachment, wouldn't the Downing Street Memos be enough? Add that with our own CIA reports of no WMD in Iraq when Bush claimed there were and that would add credence for treason towards the American public. Those documents could prove that he lied to the American public. Is that not enough?

Astronuc said:
I said charges, Astronuc (Sos, Ivan, et al). Those aren't charges. If you could impeach someone for being an idiot or a jerk, half the Presidents we've had would have been impeached.

Ivan Seeking said:
In a year + it won't be Republican anymore.
Hehe. You actually believe that?

Actually, just curiosity, how many presidents have been impeached in the US, and were they Republicans or Democrats?

Mercator said:
Actually, just curiosity, how many presidents have been impeached in the US, and were they Republicans or Democrats?
Andrew Jackson and Clinton...but niether were convicted. Clinton as you know was a Democrat as was Andrew.

champ2823 said:
In charges for impeachment, wouldn't the Downing Street Memos be enough? Add that with our own CIA reports of no WMD in Iraq when Bush claimed there were and that would add credence for treason towards the American public. Those documents could prove that he lied to the American public. Is that not enough?
I don't think you can impeach on hearsay(downing memos)..and impeaching the pres based on WMD claims would put all of the senators who also put forth the WMD claims at risk. Not to mention the 9-11, kaye and Duelfer reports would alone cast enough doubt on their case to allow the charge to be discarded.

edward said:
You may need to watch a short advertisement before accessing Salon.
http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2005/01/18/scandal/index.html
Clerverly leading the American people to believe that there was a connection between 9/11 and Iraq was the most immoral action that a president has ever comitted. "Grave and gathering danger my arse"
No matter how clever the indoctrination of the American people was, it was not legal. To accomplish it Bush commited; fraud, corruption, and conspiracy.
Without "big money ties" Bush would have been gone after his first term on anyone of a number of charges.
Without big money ties he would be just another unknown loser.

Ivan Seeking said:
Nonsense. Nixon was taken down by the mere threat of impeachment and it can be done again.
It wasn't a mere threat of impeachment it was the imminent impeachment that caused Nixon to attempt to save some bit of dignity and resign.
As was evident all along, Clinton's impeachment was political assasination and nothing more, but as with Watergate, this is a matter of a genuine criminal acts of vast proportions by comparison.
Clintons impeachment was based on the same charge that helped send Martha Steward to prison.

Forget about impeachment. What we need is a revolution and the revolution starts now!

http://www.worldcantwait.org/

http://rwor.org/a/018/world-cant-wait.htm

kat said:
Clintons impeachment was based on the same charge that helped send Martha Steward to prison.
Clinton impeachment was the culmination of years of political wrangling to try and bring him down.

When they failed with the Whitewater deal, they gave Ken Starr a free rein.

The name Paula was mentioned by Arkansas State Troopers, so they found Paula Jones. Got a ruling from the Supreme court that a sitting President could be sued. Then they sued him for sexual harassment.

During the civil trial they brought up Monika Lewinski. The judge ruled that the Lewinski incident was irrelevant to the case because it was consensual, therefore demonstrates no pattern of behavior.

They impeached him for denying having "sexual relations" with Monica, accusing him of perjury. A blow job does not fit the legal definition of "sexual relations" so he beat it on a technicality.

Remember the "vast right-wing conspiracy"?

At the time I thought Hillary was nuts to say such a thing, but after reading Blinded by the Right, by David Brock, I have a different perspective.

Bush has committed real crimes and will be held accountable. Mark my words!
Russ_Watters said:
If you could impeach someone for being an idiot or a jerk, half the Presidents we've had would have been impeached.
Just curious, which half?

I'm having a hard time cutting through the propaganda...Skyhunter..please do me a small favor and quote the exact charges brought against him... and save the rhetoric.

kat said:
I'm having a hard time cutting through the propaganda...Skyhunter..please do me a small favor and quote the exact charges brought against him... and save the rhetoric.
Against who?

Sorry, but I don't post for your benefit.

Skyhunter said:
Sorry, but I don't post for your benefit.
lol, then I'm at a loss as to why you bothered with the long response to my comment.
Against who?
The charges brought against Clinton were perjury and obstruction of justice. I'm leaning hard towards putting my money on any charges being brought against libby, rove...delay et al. to be the same. Which in one sense is problematic as these type of charge has little to do with the origional purpose of the investigations..yet on the other hand..it is a crime. So, one must either change the law or realize that those found guilty of it are...criminals. *shrug*

kat, do you recognize the difference between an investigation into whether or not someone progressed from third base to the real mccoy and an investigation into whether White House officials leaked secret Intelligence information (not to say anything aboutendangering the careers/lives of people) ?

Gokul..although I think you're minimizing the Clinton issues, it's not relevant to my point. If in the end..there is not evidence to support the charges the the origional investigations were based on..
and they are in the end only charged with perjury and obstruction of justice...
then, quite frankly there is little difference in either event.

kat said:
Andrew Jackson and Clinton...but niether were convicted. Clinton as you know was a Democrat as was Andrew.
Acutally, it was Andrew Johnson (the guy right after Lincoln), not Jackson.
Andrew Johnson was a "Union" part member, or so says this page,
http://www.presidentsusa.net/partyofpresidents.html
he didnt get along too well with the post-civil war congress.

Ivan Seeking said:
Nonsense. Nixon was taken down by the mere threat of impeachment and it can be done again. As was evident all along, Clinton's impeachment was political assasination and nothing more, but as with Watergate, this is a matter of a genuine criminal acts of vast proportions by comparison.

You're contradicting yourself.

Tide said:
You're contradicting yourself.

No I'm not. I'm saying that Clinton's impeachment was a joke; this since those in power now are mostly responsible. But Bush and his gang are in Nixon's class of criminals, and Nixon did go down.

mrjeffy321 said:
Acutally, it was Andrew Johnson (the guy right after Lincoln), not Jackson.
Andrew Johnson was a "Union" part member, or so says this page,
http://www.presidentsusa.net/partyofpresidents.html
he didnt get along too well with the post-civil war congress.
my apologies..I meant to type johnson... Johnson was http://www.whitehouse.gov/history/presidents/aj17.html"

The significance of impeachment depends on the Senate trial.

Article. I.
Section 3
...Clause 7: Judgment in Cases of Impeachment shall not extend further than to removal from Office, and disqualification to hold and enjoy any Office of honor, Trust or Profit under the United States: but the Party convicted shall nevertheless be liable and subject to Indictment, Trial, Judgment and Punishment, according to Law.
http://www.house.gov/Constitution/Constitution.html

The only reason that Clinton's conviction was a joke was that everyone knew that the trial was a joke. In Nixons case, no one was laughing.