Implementing a Function Using Look-Up Tables

• Thread starter Vishera
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, a look-up table is a data structure that stores pre-calculated values for a given function. It works by storing input values and their corresponding output values in a table, making it faster to retrieve the output for a given input rather than having to calculate it each time the function is called. It is most useful for functions with a large number of inputs and outputs, and can be created by determining the range of values and manually creating a table or using a program. However, it may require extra memory and may not be easily adaptable to changes in the function.
Vishera

Homework Statement

BoCJQE5.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am unsure how to proceed from here. Here is what I understand LUTs to look like:

5CupptN.png

Here is my attempt so far:
[/B]
XzEQkRy.jpg

ngcZZlV.jpg

Attachments

• BoCJQE5.png
    BoCJQE5.png
    9.2 KB · Views: 384
  • 5CupptN.png
    5CupptN.png
    11.5 KB · Views: 366
  • XzEQkRy.jpg
    XzEQkRy.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 380
Physics news on Phys.org
Do LUTs need to look exactly like this below? Or can LUTs be any sort of box that has 2 inputs and 1 output?

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2F5CupptN.png

Also, do LUTs need those pink squares? i.e. stored 1's and 0's inside the LUT as memory.

1. What is a look-up table and how does it work?

A look-up table is a data structure that stores pre-calculated values for a given function. It works by storing input values and their corresponding output values in a table, making it faster to retrieve the output for a given input rather than having to calculate it each time the function is called.

2. When should I use a look-up table to implement a function?

A look-up table is most useful when the function being implemented has a large number of possible inputs and outputs, and the same inputs are likely to be used repeatedly. It can also be beneficial when the function is complex and time-consuming to calculate each time it is called.

3. How do I create a look-up table for my function?

To create a look-up table for your function, you will need to determine the range of input values and the corresponding output values. Then, you can either manually create a table or use a program to generate the table for you. Make sure to test the accuracy of the table before using it in your implementation.

4. What are some potential drawbacks of using a look-up table?

One drawback of using a look-up table is the need for extra memory to store the table. Depending on the size of the table, this can significantly impact the performance of the program. Additionally, if the input values are not discrete, the accuracy of the output values may be compromised.

5. Can I update a look-up table once it has been created?

Yes, it is possible to update a look-up table once it has been created. However, this can be a time-consuming process and may require recalculating the entire table if the function being implemented has changed. It is important to carefully consider whether a look-up table is the best solution for your function, as it may not be easily adaptable to changes in the function.