Implicit Derivative of this Function

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the implicit derivative of the given function, 1/x + 1/y = 1, using the chain rule and quotient rule. The conversation includes attempts at solving the problem, including an error in not including a negative sign and not realizing the derivative of 1 is zero. The correct answer is (-y^2/x^2).
k_squared
[Solved]Implicit Derivative of this Function

Homework Statement

Find the implicit Derivative of this function:
1/x+1/y=1

Homework Equations

Chain Rule, Quotient Rule ... ?

The Attempt at a Solution

1/x-(y'/y^2)=1
(y'/y^2)=1-1/x
y'=1/y^2-y^2/x

The answer seems to be (-y^2/x^2). I have no idea how that happened. Any help would be most appreciated...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It doesn't look like u took the derivative of the (1/x) from the work provided

Also you may want to try to rewrite your function as x^(-1)+y^(-1)=1

My new work goes something like

-1/x^2+y'/y^2=1
y'/y^2=1-1/x^2

y' = y^2((x^2+1)/x^2)
y' = y^2-y^2/x^2

Uh... Could you tell me what I'm doing wrong (Ie, is this an algebra mistake or is my calc itself off)? Again, any help is appreciated...
Forgot to realize the derivative of 1 is zero... sorry...

Last edited:
k_squared said:
My new work goes something like

-1/x^2+y'/y^2=1
You original function was given by 1/x+ 1/y= 1
You should have a "-" on both x and y and the derivative of 1 is 0.

y'/y^2=1-1/x^2

y' = y^2((x^2+1)/x^2)
y' = y^2-y^2/x^2

Uh... Could you tell me what I'm doing wrong (Ie, is this an algebra mistake or is my calc itself off)? Again, any help is appreciated...
Forgot to realize the derivative of 1 is zero... sorry...

What is implicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation is a method used to find the derivative of a function that is not written explicitly in terms of the independent variable. It is commonly used when the dependent variable cannot be easily isolated on one side of the equation.

How do you find the implicit derivative of a function?

To find the implicit derivative of a function, you first differentiate each term with respect to the independent variable. Then, you solve for the derivative by isolating the dependent variable on one side of the equation. This may require using the chain rule, product rule, or quotient rule.

What is the purpose of implicit differentiation?

The purpose of implicit differentiation is to find the rate of change of a function that is not written explicitly in terms of the independent variable. This is useful in situations where it is difficult or impossible to isolate the dependent variable in the equation.

What are some common applications of implicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation is commonly used in physics, economics, and engineering to find rates of change in complex equations. It is also used in curve fitting and optimization problems.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when using implicit differentiation?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using implicit differentiation include forgetting to apply the chain rule, using the product rule instead of the quotient rule, and not simplifying the final expression. It is also important to check for extraneous solutions when solving for the derivative.