1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Implicit Derivatives - Trigonometry

1. Apr 14, 2008 #1
    Hello hello everyone...
    I have a problem that I've been trying to figure out for a couple of days now. Its a question off of an assignment, and I have been busting my balls(excuse my french) with no results. HELP would be GREATLY appreciated...lthis is the question at hand:

xsin(y) + x^3 = tan^(-1)(y)
    the second part is an inverse

I have to find the first and second derivative, critical values, points of inflection, intercept, in order to sketch it afterwards.

I shall cross my fingers with the hope that I will find genius out there :D !!!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2008 #2
    use leibniz notation d/dx everything.
    if you d(x^3)/dx , u get 3x^2.
    The implicit part is differentiating the ys.If you assumme sin (y) = u --> du/dx = d(sin(y))/dx , is that clear?

now du/dx = du/dy . dy/dx becuase u is composed of the variable y. so if you do this you'll have du/dx = d(sin(y))/y . dy/dx. Leave dy/dx and d(sin(y))/y is cos(y).
    so d(sin(y))/dx = cos(y) . dy/dx.

The rest is just applications of this, with product rule and everything. arctan (the inverse tan) has a derivative of (1/(1+x^2)). If you understand the chain rule it should be easy. Once you take the first derivative of everything, you can isolate the equation for dy/dx to be on one side and everything on the other to find critical values.

If you have any specific questions feel free to ask, good luck.

4. Apr 16, 2008 #3
    Hey...
    thanks for the reply it makes a lot of sense
    The last question I have now is... how would I go about finding the x-y intercepts, domain, range, asymptotes and symmetry of the function??
    By getting the derivative, I can find the critical values, local maximums/minimums, inflection points, and concavity intervals... but I also need to sketch the curve and in order to do so I would need the preceding info as well. I dont know how to isolate the y on one side, and the x on the other in order to do so :(

HEEEEELPP!!!!!!

ps. Would I find the second derivative applying the same procedure (implicit differentiation)??

Your help is greatly GREATLY appreciated!!!!!!! :D

5. Apr 18, 2008 #4
    The second derivative can be found the same process, just d(whatever is on each other side) by dx.

Let's say you have x^3 + y^3 = xy

First derivative is : 3x^2 + 3y^2 . dy/dx = y + x . dy/dx
    Now if everything on left side is g(x) and the right side is n(x). Then just do dg(x) / dx and do dn(x) / dx.

So it would be : d[3x^2 + 3y^2 . dy/dx] / dx = d[y + x . dy/dx] / dx

6x + 3y^2 . (d^2y / dx^2) + 6y . (dy/dx) ^ 2 = 2 . dy/dx + x . (d^2y / dx^2)

That is the second derivative. Notice (dy/dx) ^ 2 is not same as (d^2y / dx^2).

One means the square of first derivative, second is notation for second derivative.

Domain is a concept, has no equations. Ok the first term has a sin, and all real numbers are ok in sin functions so you're good. The second term , x^3 not a problem, all real numbers. The right hand side has a tan^-1 which means it's domain would be from one asymptote of tan(x) to another. So y has to be from -pi/2 to pi/2 and that is the domain of y values in the function.

X-int means when y equals to 0, what can x be. Just replace all ys with zero.

Y-int is opposite, replace all xs with zero, solve for y.

I don't think there is any asymptotes in the function tho, there is no denominators.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?