1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Implicit differentiation and optimization

1. Jul 3, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A conical tent must contain [tex]40\pi ft^{3}[/tex]. Compute the height and radius of the tent with minimal total surface area. (Include the floor material.)

2. Relevant equations
    1. [tex]\frac{\pi r^{2} h}{3} = 40\pi[/tex]
    2. [tex] \pi r \sqrt{r^{2} + h^{2}} + \pi r^{2} = S[/tex]
    3. [tex] \frac {dr}{dh} = - \frac {r}{2h} [/tex]
    4. [tex] \frac {dS} {dh} = \frac {2h^{2} - r^{2}}{2h\sqrt{r^{2} + h^{2}}} - \frac {r^{2}} {h}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I used implicit differentiation with respect to h in equation 1 to get equation 3. I then used implicit differentiation and substitution of equation 3 to get equation 4. Because I am looking for an extrema, I then set [tex]\frac {dS}{dh}[/tex] equal to zero and re-arrange to get:

[tex] \frac {r^{2}} {h} = \frac {2h^{2} - r^{2}}{2h\sqrt{r^{2} + h^{2}}} [/tex]

After this, though, I'm not sure how to manipulate equation 5 to get one variable in terms of the other. My book gives the answers [tex]h =4\sqrt [3]{15} ft[/tex], [tex]r = \sqrt{2}\sqrt[3]{15}[/tex], which could well be correct, but I'm unclear as to how the answer was derived.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 3, 2010 #2

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Setting dS/dh= 0 is not enough. It has to be the "total differential" that is equal to 0. Yes,
    [tex]S(h,r)= \pi r \sqrt{r^{2} + h^{2}} + \pi r^{2}[/tex].

And, since
    [tex]\frac{\pi r^{2} h}{3} = 40\pi[/tex]

[itex]h= 120/r^2[/itex]. replace h in the surface area formula, so that S is a function of r only, differentiate that with respect to r, and set equal to 0.

4. Jul 3, 2010 #3

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In 4 you must remember that r is a function of h so you can't treat it as constant. For example, the derivative of r2 would be 2rdr/dh etc. You will need to substitute for your dr/dh from 3.

5. Jul 3, 2010 #4
    OK, thanks. I think I understand now.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook