1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Implicit differentiation and related rates

1. Nov 4, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The spherical head of a snowperson is melting under the HOT sun at the rate of -160 cc/h (cubic centimetres per hour.) Find the rate at which the radius is changing when the radius r=16. Use cm/h for the units.
    (The volume of a sphere is given by V= 4π⋅r^3/3.)

I have missed the past few calculus lectures and I am afraid I am falling behind, how would I start this kind of question? I know that the volume is changing at a rate of V - 160t where t is the number of hours...but I don't know how that helps at all.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2013 #2
    V = (4/3)πr3

Differentiate both sides with respect to ‘t’ .What do you get ?

4. Nov 4, 2013 #3
    dV/dt = 4πr^2*dr/dt

5. Nov 4, 2013 #4
    Excellent...

Now,dV/dt and 'r' is given to you .Just calculate dr/dt .

6. Nov 4, 2013 #5
    Oh my (facepalm) thank you so much for the help!

7. Nov 4, 2013 #6
    :thumbs:

You are welcome :smile:

8. Nov 4, 2013 #7
    If I was to do the same thing but instead I was given a volume and was looking for the rate of change of volume given the rate of change of radius, would I just isolate for r then take the derivative?

9. Nov 5, 2013 #8
    That would be quite tedious .

Instead, from the given volume just find out the radius using the relation V =(4/3)πr3 .Then approach in the similar manner .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted