Importance of ABET in Mechatronics BS

• Programs
  • Thread starter Dan8420
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mechatronics
In summary, based on what you've said, I think you would be better served going for an ABET accredited degree in Mechatronics. However, if you feel you need the extra security of an ABET accredited degree, you could pursue a double major.
Dan8420
Gold Member
Hey all, my first 'real' post here, though I've been reading this forum for almost two years now! Would love some advice on a Mechatronics program.

I am curious if anyone has thoughts about ABET certification in a Mechatronics degree program? While I know it is highly recommended for EE and ME Degrees, it looks to me as though only six Mechatronics degree programs in the US are ABET certified, none of which are anywhere near me.

A little backstory: I always had good grades in HS, but due to some circumstances right out, I ended up going directly into the job market. Three years later, I started my own landscaping company, and worked my way into the excavation field. I did this for about 7 years, but have decided I wanted to go back to school, originally for an EE BS. I am currently enrolled in a local community college full time, and have a 4.0 Cumulative GPA. I am getting ready to transfer in the Fall, but have grown to like a Mechatronics degree program offered at a local college. One caveat is that while their EE program is ABET certified, the Mechatronics program is not.

Any thoughts are welcome, and I will be around to answer questions if anyone needs further information! Thanks again!

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't say I'm familiar with Mechatronics, but my first instinct is that you'll probably want to go for an ABET program.

un par de tenis said:
I can't say I'm familiar with Mechatronics, but my first instinct is that you'll probably want to go for an ABET program.

I think you're right on that, but wasn't sure how much of a factor it should be. I suppose I may end up staying with the EE program and just taking some additional classes that are listed from the Mechatronics one to augment some skills.

If you truly were to specialize in mechatronics, the ABET accreditation wouldn't be that valuable. Machine design and automation does not require a PE (Professional Engineer) to obtain employment (could change in the future). ABET accreditation seems to be the new bar for many states in their application for taking a PE exam. There are many good programs that do not have ABET accreditation. Often the same school may have some other their programs ABET accredited and other engineering programs from the same school are not. You may be looking at just such a school and if you feel you need the extra security of an ABET accredited degree, pursue a double major ie taking enough courses to graduate with an ME (w/ABET) and your Mechatronics degree (w/o ABET).
An ABET accredited degree is certainly much better to have if you want to obtain PE licensure in the future.
The actual reality of ABET accreditation is that the college offers a curriculum that is acceptable and maintains a standard acceptable to ABET. There are still many schools that have good and respectable programs that do not have ABET accreditation or if they do, they do not have accreditation for all of their technical programs.

The age of the program is a factor as well. A school cannot apply for ABET accreditation until at least one class has graduated, meaning that all 4+ years have been offered and students have successfully completed them. I took a non-ABET degree in Engineering Science; I was in the first class to graduate. The program was later ABET accredited, and those who had already graduated are thus grandfathered-in.

On the other side of the coin, if a program has been long in existence and is still not ABET accredited, you have to ask yourself why? Is it that the school just does not want to get ABET accreditation for that program, or has it tried and failed (this definitely does happen). It may be hard to learn the true answer to this concern, but be aware that it is a potential pitfall.

What is ABET and why is it important for a Mechatronics BS?

ABET stands for Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology. It is a non-governmental organization that accredits engineering and technology programs in universities. ABET accreditation is important for Mechatronics BS because it ensures that the program meets certain standards set by experts in the field, providing students with a quality education and preparing them for a successful career in Mechatronics.

What are the benefits of obtaining an ABET accredited Mechatronics BS degree?

Obtaining an ABET accredited Mechatronics BS degree has several benefits. Firstly, it assures students that their program meets international standards and is recognized by employers worldwide. Secondly, it provides students with a rigorous and up-to-date curriculum, preparing them for the constantly evolving field of Mechatronics. Lastly, it increases employability and career opportunities for graduates.

How does ABET accreditation affect the curriculum of a Mechatronics BS program?

ABET accreditation requires Mechatronics BS programs to follow a specific set of criteria, including a rigorous curriculum that covers all essential topics in the field. This ensures that students receive a well-rounded education, with a balance of theoretical knowledge and practical skills. Additionally, ABET accreditation also requires programs to continuously update their curriculum to keep up with the latest developments in Mechatronics.

What is the process for a Mechatronics BS program to become ABET accredited?

The process for a Mechatronics BS program to become ABET accredited involves a thorough evaluation and review by a team of experts. This process includes a self-study report by the program, on-site visits by the evaluation team, and a final decision by the ABET commission. The evaluation team assesses the program based on criteria such as curriculum, faculty, facilities, and student outcomes. The entire process can take up to two years.

Can a Mechatronics BS program still be reputable without ABET accreditation?

While ABET accreditation is not mandatory for a Mechatronics BS program to be reputable, it is highly recommended. ABET accreditation provides assurance of quality and international recognition, which can greatly benefit students in their academic and professional pursuits. Without ABET accreditation, it may be difficult for students to transfer credits or be recognized by employers in certain industries.